Обсуждение: simple questions

simple questions

От
Niral Trivedi
Дата:
All,

I have very simple two questions..

How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
DB??

I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
MySQL or
'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..

Thanks in advance for your help..

Niral

Re: simple questions

От
Brian Horan
Дата:
Niral Trivedi wrote:

> All,
>
> I have very simple two questions..
>
> How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
> DB??
>
> I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
> MySQL or
> 'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..
>
> Thanks in advance for your help..
>
> Niral

easily.

psql#> \d table_name
for a specific table

psql#> \d
for all tables

and \? for other useful stuff with backslashes.
--
     ,~,
      v     Brian Horan

Re: simple questions

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
Hi, there,

in psql use

\d tablename

BTW

you can use
\? to list all related command

Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Niral Trivedi wrote:

> All,
>
> I have very simple two questions..
>
> How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
> DB??
>
> I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
> MySQL or
> 'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..
>
> Thanks in advance for your help..
>
> Niral

RE: simple questions

От
Niral Trivedi
Дата:
Thank you all for your such a quick response..

Niral

Re: simple questions

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
\d tablename
\dt       --- list all tables
\dv       --- list all views

Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Niral Trivedi wrote:

> All,
>
> I have very simple two questions..
>
> How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
> DB??
>
> I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
> MySQL or
> 'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..
>
> Thanks in advance for your help..
>
> Niral

Re: simple questions

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Niral Trivedi wrote:
  >All,
  >
  >I have very simple two questions..
  >
  >How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
  >DB??
  >
  >I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
  >MySQL or
  >'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..

In psql:

\d           lists all tables
\d table     lists all columns in a table

use \? for help on psql commands and \h for help on SQL commands

Start psql with -E to see the SQL queries that \d produces.
     "The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom, and
      before honour is humility."      Proverbs 15:33

Re: [GENERAL] simple questions

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Niral Trivedi wrote:

> I have very simple two questions..
>
> How can we 'describe a table' and 'view all available tables' in postgres
> DB??
>
> I am looking for something similar to 'desc <TABLE>' and 'show tables' in
> MySQL or
> 'desc <TABLE>' and 'select * from tab' in Oracle..

If you are using the psql app, \d will show you all relations (tables,
sequences, etc).  \dt will show all tables, \dt <table> will show the
details of a particualr table.  See the online help \? for more info.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
If we all work together, we can totally disrupt the system.