Обсуждение: Database connectivity

Database connectivity

От
Kisala Muhavi
Дата:
hi,
I have postgres installed on my linux apache server. Im using Visual basic 6
and MS Access as my front-end tools. Im unnable to connect to postgresql
database, despite that ive the latest ODBC drivers of postgresql installed
on my windows machine. Please advice me on how to connect to postgres from
windows environment. Im doing all this on LAN.
Thanks.
bonny

Re: Database connectivity

От
David Huttleston Jr
Дата:
Hey Kisala,

  To get a windows client and a postgres linix server talking you need
several things done on the server and the client.

On the server:

1) pg 7.02 needs to have been compiled with ODBC support on
2) pg 7.02 needs to be running with the -i option to allow
    remote connections
3) pg_hba.conf needs a line appended to allow your client's IP address
    For example:
host    all    10.0.0.2    255.255.255.0    trust
(change 10.0.0.2 and 255.255.255.0 to match the client's IP and netmask
 you wish to connect to postgres on your server.)

On each client:
1) install the Windows ODBC driver on your client
2) create a ODBC data source using ODBC32 on the client.  Make sure
  you turn *ON* the declare/fetch option when setting the properties.
3) Test connection using MS Access.  For example, create an ODBC link
  and try a query.

  I think you will get better help with any problems using Access initially.
There is not much talk of VB on these lists, but lots of Postgres-via-Access.

Good Luck,
    Dave Huttleston Jr.