Обсуждение: Postmaster crashes

Postmaster crashes

От
"Mike Field"
Дата:
    Hi-

My php website interacts with a postrgres database, and every now and then,
postgres just seems to crash.  A simple restart of postmaster fixes the
problem, until it crashes again.  However, I have no idea EXACTLY when it
crashes (what the website users are doing at the time, if anything) and WHY.
If someone has any ideas as to why it might be crashing, or how I can find
out why, and what to do about it, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Mike
mike@fieldco.com

Re: Postmaster crashes

От
Daryl Herzmann
Дата:
Just to let Mike know that he is not alone, I have the exact same
problem. It is sooo annonying that postmaster will just crash about once a
week at various times.  My question is how can the pg_log file be
viewed?  I have a good idea at what time the postmaster crashed, but do
not know what postmaster was doing at the time.

Environment:
    RH Linux 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5.0smp
    Daul PIII 450
    Postgres 7.0

Thanks,
    Daryl

~|My php website interacts with a postrgres database, and every now and then,
~|postgres just seems to crash.  A simple restart of postmaster fixes the
~|problem, until it crashes again.  However, I have no idea EXACTLY when it
~|crashes (what the website users are doing at the time, if anything) and WHY.
~|If someone has any ideas as to why it might be crashing, or how I can find
~|out why, and what to do about it, I would appreciate the help.
~|
~|Thanks,
~|
~|Mike
~|mike@fieldco.com
~|

Re: Postmaster crashes

От
Mathieu Arnold
Дата:
I've had quite the same thing on a busy server, it was due to a lack of
filehandles.

--
Mathieu Arnold

Re: Postmaster crashes

От
"Mike Field"
Дата:
Thanks for the tips.  A few questions:  how does the lack of filehandles
relate to the postmaster crashing?  Filehandles to what files?  How did you
figure it out? (ie.  did you look at logs?  If so, which and how?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike
mike@fieldco.com

> I've had quite the same thing on a busy server, it was due to a lack of
> filehandles.
>
> Mike Field wrote:
> >
> >     Hi-
> >
> > My php website interacts with a postrgres database, and every now and
then,
> > postgres just seems to crash.  A simple restart of postmaster fixes the
> > problem, until it crashes again.  However, I have no idea EXACTLY when
it
> > crashes (what the website users are doing at the time, if anything) and
WHY.
> > If someone has any ideas as to why it might be crashing, or how I can
find
> > out why, and what to do about it, I would appreciate the help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> > mike@fieldco.com
>
> --
> Mathieu Arnold

Re: Postmaster crashes

От
Joshua Leshan
Дата:
Here, we have a similar problem.  When there are about 34 psql processes
running and one more gets added, all turn to zombies.  The only way to get
Postgres running again is to restart it.

Postgres version 6.4
Linux version 2.0.36

J.D.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Mike Field wrote:

>     Hi-
>
> My php website interacts with a postrgres database, and every now and then,
> postgres just seems to crash.  A simple restart of postmaster fixes the
> problem, until it crashes again.  However, I have no idea EXACTLY when it
> crashes (what the website users are doing at the time, if anything) and WHY.
> If someone has any ideas as to why it might be crashing, or how I can find
> out why, and what to do about it, I would appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
> mike@fieldco.com

Re: Postmaster crashes

От
Mathieu Arnold
Дата:
i figured out in launching strace postmaster :)
and seeing some open failing, causing the master postmaster to crash and
with it all it's sons. It was with a PG 6.5.3, and I haven't seen it happen
again since a added an
echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
in my rc.local.

--