Data cluster initialization on NFS for different databases.

От Frederiko Costa
Тема Data cluster initialization on NFS for different databases.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I've got a few questions in regards to the way I'd like to design my database area. Currently I have 2 projects. These projects contain  two dedicated databases, but their data would be stored in the same NFS server. What I have as a plan is to run two different instances of pgsql server on these two separate machines and save the data on two different directories - acting as database area - exported via NFS. I believe to gain a little bit flexibility later in case I decide one database to a different place. But I don't think this would be decision making approach.

The question is if this approach is what most people do? I was also thinking that if the number of projects grows, this could become a potential headache to manage.

Would be possible to have a single directory - containing the database area - exported and shared by different hosts, reading and writing on different databases? If yes, is it recommended?

The last question is if NFS would be a good option as network, does anybody recommend another network file system?

Thanks in advance.
Frederiko