the time for pgsql-starting@postgresql.org has come?

От Guido Barosio
Тема the time for pgsql-starting@postgresql.org has come?
Дата
Re: the time for pgsql-starting@postgresql.org has come?
Список pgsql-admin
All, (boring mail ahead)

   Writing here to get in contact with major people. Recently, with the new Windows port, and a great massive reception of the new release, I've noticed that too many threads are being sent to pgsql-admin regarding:

"How do I install"
"How do I backup"
"What is initdb"

etc.

   The point is that I am wondering about the need of a new mailing list, to isolate these cases, and give them a better support, before "upgrading" into a list like the admin one.

   A big distance between some threads and the ones that I mention already exists, and I wonder about a few orphan threads, without any kind of reply, because they are "silly" or the help was not properly requested.

   pgsql-starting seems to be a good way to isolate this threads and get a better idea of the common problems on getting started with postgresql.
Recording / analyzing these threads could lead after into a better experience in the future, or the chance to understand who are these starters (profiles,background,etc).

   And I would kindly put some time there.

  My 5 cents (more than 2 ;) )

Best regards,
g.-

--
"Adopting the position that you are smarter than an automaticoptimization algorithm is generally a good way to achieve lessperformance, not more" - Tom Lane.