Re: pg_xlog and standby

От Roberto Scattini
Тема Re: pg_xlog and standby
Дата
Re: pg_xlog and standby  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: pg_xlog and standby  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 23, 2008 2:28 PM, Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:

> You don't.  The main server should not be keeping archived WAL files
> directly in pg_xlog/.  As it queues WAL files to be archived it puts
> them in pg_xlog/archive_status/ with file names suffixed with .ready,
> once they are archived that suffix changes to .done after which, at
> some point (I'm not sure how long/many) they are removed.

mmmmmmmm, ok. the problem that im having is that i have A LOT of
archive files on pg_xlog dir, and thats because the archive_command
keeps failing (the standby server had filled his disk with archives
received but not proccesed), so now, i dont know how i can remove
those files and start again...

> Now, if you took your standby server offline, but didn't disable your
> archive_command then you've basically been accumulating WALs with
> the .ready prefix in the archive_status directory that, if you're
> going to start from scratch with your standby, you can safely
> delete.  Just make sure you have a couple of WAL files successfully
> archived (suffix has changed to .done in the archive_status dir and
> you've verified that they've reached whatever directory your standby
> expects them to be in) before call pg_start_backup()  and starting
> your new base backup.
>
> IMO, the most important point to be had here is DO NOT delete WALs
> that sit directly under pg_xlog/.  Mistakes with the rest can be
> worked with, you could run into serious problems with your primary
> when deleting WALs directly under pg_xlog/.

yeah, i agree. but now i have aprox 40GB of archive files in pg_xlog
dir in the production server.  :S

> Also, do you know why your standby stopped recovering?  I'd say you
> should make sure you know why and how, otherwise you run the risk of
> the same thing happening again.

i dont know exactly, but it is very possible that it could be an
unfinished server re-config.

> Erik Jones

thanks for your help!

--