Re: Locale by default?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Locale by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > > I wouldn't object it if there is a way to disable locale support.
> >
> > export LC_ALL=C
>
> It's not a solution. My point is people should not be troubled by the
> useless feature (at least for Japanese) even if they set their locale
> other than C.

If people set their locale to something other than C they have evidently
judged that locale is not useless.  Why would they set it otherwise?  I
don't think hiding away a feature because you think it's useless is a good
idea.  If people don't like it, allow them to turn it off.  If there are
potential problems related to the feature, document them.

Face it, everything has locale support these day.  PostgreSQL is one of
the few packages that even has it as an option to turn it off.  Users of
binary packages of PostgreSQL are all invariably faced with locale
features.  So it's not like sudden unasked-for locale support is going to
be a major shock.