Re: Clarification

От Alain Toussaint
Тема Re: Clarification
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> As I've recieved some "interesting" emails to clarify:
>
> I wish to run postgresql on a Linux (Slackware) server over a LAN.
>
> The client must reside on Apple MacIntosh (12 of them)
>
> I am not familair with any client that will allow this. I have no
> problem with Linux or mac, I have very limited experience with
> postgresql, though I am told mysql has no problem I am just considering
> options beyond filemaker on a mac server.

ok,here goes,i tried to check if MacOS supported something like ODBC but
since i'm on a text only system and debian's lynx doesn't support
javascript (i have next to no disk space and Xfree would take too long...like
3 days or so...to compile anyway),i couldn't search apple's knowledge
base.

that said,PostgreSQL do support connection over the network and is quite
easy to compile (i tried both 6.5.X release as well as 7.0 on various
debian and slackware system),the only thing remaining to know is if
there's PostgreSQL ODBC-like drivers for MacOS and/or applications able to
work with PostgreSQL.

i'd be very interrested to know the details since after i bough my next
system,i will be in the market for an IMac-DV (which hopefully will run
OSX),there's some rather good special in our local newspaper (an IMac-DV
450 bundled with a Harman Kardon sound system going for less than $1000
USD).

Alain