Re: [HACKERS] psql -e and -n flags

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql -e and -n flags
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2000-02-06, Tom Lane mentioned:

> > Furthermore, does anyone have anything to say in defence of the -n ("no
> > readline") option? If not, I'd be tempted to "hide" it now, since it may
> > be a popular option letter to have available in the future.
>
> readline automatically turns off if the input is not coming from a
> terminal, right?  That seems like the only really compelling reason
> to have -n (since you wouldn't want script commands filling your
> history or being subject to tab-completion).  I suppose someone who

You're right, readline is of course not used if the session is not
interactive. The fact of the matter is that the flag isn't even checked in
that case and things like loading the history file (a real hog) is not
done either.

> really hated tab-completion might want a way to turn off just that
> feature, though --- is there a way?

Sure. Put $if psql set disable-completion on $endif
in your ~/.inputrc. (Whoever came up with that double negative, though?)

> BTW, if you need one more item for your psql todo list ;-) ... when
> looking at EXPLAIN outputs it's possible to get NOTICE messages that
> fill many screensful.  It might be nice if NOTICEs went through the
> pager like query results do.

Oh boy, I can't promise anything there at this point in time.