Re: Server Won't Start On a Copy of Its Own Data Folder

От Dario
Тема Re: Server Won't Start On a Copy of Its Own Data Folder
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Did you check file ownership and permissions?

Greetings.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]En nombre de Magnus Hagander
Enviado el: lunes, 15 de agosto de 2005 16:07
Para: Dirk Kalp; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Asunto: Re: [ADMIN] Server Won't Start On a Copy of Its Own Data Folder

> Server Won't Start On a Copy of Its Own Data Folder
>
> 1. Installed the latest 8.0.3 binary on a Windows XP Pro
> system as a service to be started on bootup.
> 2. Used psql just to verify that I can connect.
> 3. Used Windows Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services
> to stop the server cleanly.
> 4. Made a copy of the PostgreSQL/8.0/data folder
> 5. Renamed the installed folder as PostgreSQL/8.0/saved-data
> 6. Renamed the copy of data as PostrgeSQL/8.0/data
> 7. Used Windows Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services
> to start the server
> 8. The server fails to come up
>
> Windows comes back and tells me that the service started and
> stopped. The Windows
> EventLog show that the postgres server was sent a start
> control, entered the running state and
> then entered the stopped state. There was nothing new in the
> pg_log folder to provide
> any clue.

This is very weird - it should normally log *something*. There is
nothing from postgresql in the eventlog?

> Based on what I've gleaned on reading some of the past mail
> archives, I thought that this should
> work. Have I misunderstood something?

It should,m as long as they are on the same version. And it should
absolutely log an error.

Can you try starting the database manually using pg_ctl (not as a
service) and see if you get more errors then? Remember to start it from
a runas:ed shell, so you run it as the same user.

//Magnus