Re: should pg_basebackup be listed as a server application?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: should pg_basebackup be listed as a server application?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 19:18, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> The pg_basebackup reference page is currently under "Client
> Applications" [0].  I think it's more of a server application, because
> it's what you'd run instead of initdb on the server.  Should it be moved
> to the "Server Applications" section?

Not sure I buy that argument. pg_dump/pg_dumpall/pg_restore are under
client applications. They're something you run *alongside* initdb and
not instead, sure.. But they're all backup tools.

And normally you *don't* necessarily run pg_basebackup instead of
initdb. That is just one usecase - the one of setting up a clone or a
replication slave. If you're using it to just take a base backup
(which is what it's named for), it's not done instead of initdb...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/