Re: Certification

От Bob Lunney
Тема Re: Certification
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Damien,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say below.  Using certifications as a training and motivational tool is
perfectlyappropriate.

My past experience, however, is with folks who view certifications as merit badges, and sum up the number of
certificationsto rank tech workers.  This behavior incentivized some people to become "certification collectors".  It
didnot, however, correlate into particularly effective co-workers.

I am not opposed to a PostgreSQL certification, per se, but to the attitude that a single certification is sufficient
tobecome effective and constructive at database administration and development.

Bob Lunney
Senior Database Engineer
AWeber Communications, LLC
1100 Manor Drive
Chalfont, PA  18914 USA

Note:  The opinions above are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect any official or unofficial stance for AWeber.

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 5:48 AM, damien@dalibo.info wrote:
>
> 29 octobre 2015 14:52 "Bob Lunney" <bobl@aweber.com> a écrit:
>> Ah, the old "certification" fallacy!
>>
>> Certifications, like degrees, only tell hiring managers and recruiters the certification holder has
>> passed a set of requirements and/or tests, which may or may not be available or even comprehensible
>> to the interested party. [...]
>>

> I think this is not the only point of a certification. Actually a lot a trainees are interested by getting an
evaluationat the end of the course. It's a rewarding experience in itself to see how much you've improved your
knowledge.Of course you can do that by running a mere evaluation. But delivering a certification is even more
rewarding,and it makes even more sense if it's a community-backed vendor-independent diploma. You even see that as as
anact of community onboarding.

От: "Gilberto Castillo"
Сообщение: Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Certification