Re: testing 8.4

От Kasia Tuszynska
Тема Re: testing 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hi Everybody,

I feel that I need to reword my question.

Testing environment:

Windows 2008 server, 64bit

I am testing postgres 8.4 beta to see what is different and why, in case my application that resides on postgers will need to change.

I ran into a difference, a very minor difference for which I could not establish a logical reason and so I though I would ask if anyone has ran into it (eliminating a local problem on my machine), and perhaps an explanation why difference in behavior exists:

In 8.3.0, 8.3.4 and 8.3.7 (only versions I have tested), if the postgres installation wizard is executed the following folder structure is laid down, all files under the PostgreSQL folder have the same privileges, allowing the admin user to delete the folder structure after the postgres application had been uninstalled.

Testing 8.4 I found a difference in privileges being inherited by some data files under the Data folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4, under it are:

Bin

Data

The Data directory contains the following:

Base…

Pg_tblspc

-          tablespace indicated by an integer

o        table indicated by an integer

§         individual files indicated by integers

QUESTION: all of these files make up the single logical object of the table – in this case there were over a thousand, in testing 8.4 beta I found that several of these files had different privileges from the other ones in this directory.

This difference in file permissions, prevented me from deleting the C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL folder, after I uninstalled postgres and wanted to clean up the machine

Follow up questions:

-Could this be a postgres installer issue? Or a windows issue?

-How can files that make up the same object and supposedly inherit privileges from a parent directory end up with different privs? Unless they are created under different security context, is that the case with the installer?

-I know that the workaround for this is to either delete the PostgreSQL folder as the owner i.e. the postgres user, or for the admin user to take ownership and delete it than, I am interested in a reason why as opposed to a workaround.

I apologize if the admin forum is inappropriate for 8.4 beta questions.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Kasia