Re: Release notes on "reserved OIDs"

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Release notes on "reserved OIDs"
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi,

On 2019-08-30 12:35:09 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Hmm.  I wonder if this item really belongs in the release notes at all.
> > My view is that this was interim policy, not necessarily a permanent
> > thing; and it's oriented strictly towards PG developers rather than end
> > users or even fork-developers.
>
> I think it's the sort of thing that we sometimes cover in the
> "source code" changes of the release notes.  But yeah, 09568ec3d's
> idea was pretty much fully superseded by a6417078c, so if we're
> going to document anything it should be the latter not the former.

Hm - not sure I see how a6417078c supersedes 09568ec3d, on the rationale
that we'd discussed in the thread, which the commit message sums up as:

    Add a note suggesting that oids in forks should be assigned in the
    9000-9999 range.

As forks != extensions, the release note entry seems misleading, and
a6417078c doesn't seem relevant?

Greetings,

Andres Freund