Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Regarding Distributed Database features
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:20:44AM -0400, Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
>                  Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> Distributed Database supporting features?

This depends on what you mean.  You can do some of these things via
various tools like dbi-link.  That said,

> Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or partially
> supported among the following ......................

This sounds like a checklist you got from a marketing website.  What
is the problem you are trying to solve?

>   -   Local autonomy
>   -   No reliance on a central site

These sounds like you want multimaster replication.  Postgres doesn't
do that today (and I know of only one system that really does, which
I couldn't recommend for other reasons).

>   -   Continuous operation

Depending on what this means, "Yes".

>   -   Location independence

What does this mean?

>   -   Fragmentation independence
>   -   Replication independence

And these don't make any sense to me at all.

>   -   Distributed query independence
>   -   Distributed transaction processing

Probably not, but depening on what these mean, maybe "sometimes".

>   -   Hardware independence
>   -   Operating system independence
>   -   Network independence

I think so.

>   -   Database independence

This one is mystifying to me.

Regards,

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

Сообщение: Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
Сообщение: Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease