Re: postgres in HA constellation

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: postgres in HA constellation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:11:08AM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> couldn't setup HA on OpenBSD. The key is just to make sure that you
> never bring up two servers on the same data directory.

I think this highlights exactly what I'm trying to emphasise: in
actual, shared-nothing systems like this, there's no possible
guarantee of "never".  There are possible guarantees of "very
rarely".  The problem is, you're already trying to address a teeny
portion of the likely events on your machines.  So you have to assume
that more than one thing might break at the same time, and have a
recovery plan for it.  I submit that a recovery plan of "restore from
pg_dump" is usually not going to be enough if it was worth the cost
and hassle of setting up shared disk failover.  YMMV, of course.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun

Сообщение: Re: postgres in HA constellation
Сообщение: Re: postgres in HA constellation