Re: Suspending SELECTs

От mark@mark.mielke.cc
Тема Re: Suspending SELECTs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:41:57PM +0000, Harry Jackson wrote:
> There are various reason why google might  want to limit the search
> result returned ie to encourage people to narrow their search. Prevent
> screen scrapers from hitting them really hard blah blah. Perhaps less
> than 0.00000001% of real users (not scrapers) actually dig down to the
> 10th page so whats the point.

I recall a day when google crashed, apparently due to a Windows virus
that would use google to obtain email addresses.

As an unsubstantiated theory - this may have involved many, many clients,
all accessing search page results beyond the first page.

I don't see google optimizing for the multiple page scenario. Most
people (as I think you agree above), are happy with the first or
second page, and they are gone. Keeping a cursor for these people as
anything more than an offset into search criteria, would not be
useful.

Cheers,

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________