Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: plug-n-play MS SQL Server replacement
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Lane,

> So, here's my thought.  How difficult would it be to build a server daemon
> that used PostgreSQL on the backend, and presented it to the network as a
> SQL Server compatible DB?

I think you're on the wrong list for this question.    I take it you're
talking a compatibitily layer, like Rosetta?

I would think that writing a program to broker requests on port 1433 and
re-interpret SQL Server specific syntax would be a managable project for a
good C or Perl hacker.   What would be difficult-to-impossible is:
1) making it scale & perform well (in my experience, MS SQL Server accessed
through Rosetta loses about 40% performance and is very limited in
scalability).
2) Making it integrate well with MS networking and the MS ODBC/OLEDB/ADO/.NET
clients.

Also, if you have T-SQL procedures, you would have to somehow implement T-SQL
for Postgres; translating the procedures is really not an option.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions