Re: C API, PQconnectdb and options Q.

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: C API, PQconnectdb and options Q.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, D. Stimits wrote:

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I'm using a Redhat version of PostgreSQL 7.2.3 with the C API. Mostly
> > things work right, but I need more debug output, as I have a query that
> > works fine from psql, but fails with the C API (perhaps this is because
> > I use PQescapeString). The only way to know there is an error is that
> > the insert never happens, and that the system log reports a parse error
> > at or near the first field of an insert. What I am wonder is (a) how to
> > use the tty= in the string passed to PQconnectdb, and (b) a reference
> > URL for what options are available in the options= part of the string
> > parameters accepted by PQconnectdb. So far all I end up with if I try to
> > name a file for tty= or a tty from /dev/ for tty= is a core dump.
> >
> > D. Stimits
> >
> I found a partial answer to this...it seems to be a bug in
> PQescapeString(). Turns out that if I do something with an insert using
> quotes for a varchar field, e.g.:
>   INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('bar')
>
> ...then it escapes this to:
>   INSERT INTO foo VALUES (''bar'')

I don't think you're using it correctly...
"PQescapeString escapes a string for use within an SQL commmand."
"The single quotes that must surround PostgreSQL string literals are not
included in the result string; they should be provided in the SQL
command that the result is inserted into."

The intent is not for PQescapeString to take a query string, but a
string for use within a query string (for example, the literal bar in the
above).