Re: Need for a 'minor patch person'?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Need for a 'minor patch person'?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > I thought it was a case of Bruce not having time to work on them, because he
> > was too busy doing patch application and stuff.
>
> Bruce would probably be the right person to opine on this, but my
> impression is that patch application is just a tiny fraction of his
> work day.  It's the other stuff that's killing him :-(.  Who wants
> to pick up some part of his speaking-at-conferences workload?

I am about 10% through my new mail, and I have already written a web
page summarizing my speeches, and wrote a test program for threading. :-)

So, it isn't patch application per-say, but the work required to get
them in cleanly.  What I usually do when I go away is to have someone
else pick up patch application (like Tom), but in this recent trip, all
trivial patches where already applied.  It was the tough ones that
weren't, and I don't want to dump that one on anyone like Tom.  He
already deals with tons if problem items that make my simpler job
possible.

I am always grateful for others to get involed in wrapping up solutions
to the outstanding problems that appear on our lists.

For reference, the past trip was particularly bad because I was away for
5 days, then decided to spend the weekend with my family rather than
read email because they were leaving for the New Jersey shore with my
parents on Monday.  I stayed home Monday/Tuesday reading email left over
from my trip.  I didn't deal with any complex issues.  I then went down
to the shore for two days.  When I returned, 12 days had passed since I
dealt with complex issues, and a beta had been bundled, making people
think their issues weren't going to get resolved before 7.4 final.  I
understand completely why they would think that.  And I didn't
communicate that I was going away for the last two days to the hackers
group like usual.

FYI, I am going to Mexico for 7 days starting September 15th.

Pennsylvania19073