Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?

От Hacksaw
Тема Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Yet another example of why RPMs are evil?

Errr... no? The only evil of RPM's is their less than delightful handling of
package dependencies.

RPM's have preinstall and postinstall scripts which allow you to do everything
needed to get ready. I've even had them be interactive.

In this case, a README.upgrade should have been in the directory where I got
the packages. It should detail precisely what I need to do before changing the
binaries. The RPM's should check the database directory, and see if the files
are in the right format, and abort the upgrade if something needs to be done
first, and the script can't do it itself.

But mainly, the information I need to know should be presented *before* I need
to act on it.

It's not a great big deal, I don't have thousands of employees dead in the
water or anything. Exactly one person is affected: me.

I'm hoping this will remain the case.

Someone at the very least needs to add a README.upgrade to every directory
where *any* packages reside, at the very least saying to make sure you run
pg_dumpall before upgrading the box, and pointing out any other files they
need to look at to complete the upgrade.

Even better, the file should be labeled README.you_will_hate_life_if_you_upgrad
e_before_reading_this.
--
Necessity is a measure of aim.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD

Сообщение: Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?