Maintenance_work_mem question

От Mark Steben
Тема Maintenance_work_mem question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

We are upgrading from postgres 7.4.5 to 8.2.4 in a couple weeks.  I am debating as to what

I should set my maintenance_work_mem and shared_buffers parameters to.

Here are some of our current resources

 Total memory on machine: 32GB

 Total disks – 5 Raid 10 (so five primary,  five mirrored)

 Total database size: 60GB

 Total number of tables:   300

 Total number of indexes: 500

 Max connections: 200

 Average connections at one time: 10 – 15

We currently set our 7.4.5 vacuum_mem to 1 GB.  I understand we don’t want

That any higher as we risk overflowing our 32 bit configuration.  But, since

We will be running autovacuum for the first time I assume that this will be pulling memory

According to our maintenance_work_mem value perpetually during the day, so perhaps

I should set it smaller than 1 Gig?

Also, our 7.4.5 shared buffers value is currently at 150,000 buffers.  I know this is

Very large for 7.4.5 but may be more appropriate for 8.2.4.  Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenue™
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

Come Visit Us at NADA!  Booth #5735N
February 9th - February 12th
Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA