Обсуждение: Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2024-Jul-07, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors
>
> This adds a few new logos for organizations being recognized
> as sponsors of the PostgreSQL project. This commit simultaneously
> removes logos of sponsors that are no longer recognized.

Cool stuff!  It's nice to see Jaime Casanova's logo there :-)

I visited the page
https://www.postgresql.org/about/contributing/
and happened to have the dark theme enabled.  I noticed that some logos
don't look terribly nice there; it's pretty clear that some of them are
intended to have a light background instead.  Maybe a simple fix would
be to add a light background to the table cell where the logo is
displayed?

(Maybe a real solution would be to acquire a second logo file for each
sponsor to use on dark backgrounds; but we'd still need a hack to turn
the cell into light background color for sponsors that don't supply
that.  That's far too much CSS magic for me.)

Bob [Floyd] used to say that he was planning to get a Ph.D. by the "green
stamp method," namely by saving envelopes addressed to him as 'Dr. Floyd'.
After collecting 500 such letters, he mused, a university somewhere in
Arizona would probably grant him a degree.              (Don Knuth)

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
There's also at least one logo that doesn't look great in light mode:

image.png

It looks like someone grabbed a version of our logo with transparent bits intended to sit on a dark background. Where can I send a more suitable logo?

In regard to the dark mode question, I ran across this Stack Exchange post which suggests using CSS filters to invert logo colors and apply grayscale. Here's what a filter: invert(30%) grayscale(80%) looks like:

image.png

The numbers need tweaking, but I think the approach is promising.

One catch is that some brands really don't like their logos futzed with. E.g., the AWS trademark guidelines state

8. Logo Display. AWS will supply logo images of the AWS Marks for your permitted use. You will not alter the logo images in any manner, including but not limited to changing the proportion, color, or font of the AWS Marks, or adding or removing any elements to or from the images. AWS Marks must appear by themselves, with reasonable spacing between each side of the logo image and other visual, graphic or textual elements. Under no circumstance should the AWS Marks be placed on any background which interferes with the readability or display of the logo images. You will comply with any relevant graphics standards provided by AWS.

It might be safer to just use a light background behind the logos (I think an off-white like #efeeee is a little less jarring in dark mode than pure white). A second dark-mode-specific logo is a good idea—I can probably help with the CSS magic (to some extent) if I understand the implementation better (e.g., if the logo img has a src attribute that includes in "-dark", we could match that with a CSS selector).

Thanks,
Maciek

--
Álvaro Herrera               48°01'N 7°57'E  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Bob [Floyd] used to say that he was planning to get a Ph.D. by the "green
stamp method," namely by saving envelopes addressed to him as 'Dr. Floyd'.
After collecting 500 such letters, he mused, a university somewhere in
Arizona would probably grant him a degree.              (Don Knuth)

Вложения

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
I guess inline images don't come through here. Trying again with attachments.
Вложения

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
and happened to have the dark theme enabled.  I noticed that some logos
don't look terribly nice there; it's pretty clear that some of them are
intended to have a light background instead.  Maybe a simple fix would
be to add a light background to the table cell where the logo is
displayed?

I'd suggest just making it a requirement to add an inline style onto the img.organization-logo element and consider the underlying style as part of the "data" for the logo. The sponsor can specify their preference if desired, otherwise we pick one that looks good in either mode (the logo clarity itself wouldn't change but how well it blends in can be tweaked.)

David J.

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 7/9/24 3:42 PM, Maciek Sakrejda wrote:
> There's also at least one logo that doesn't look great in light mode:
>
> image.png
>
> It looks like someone grabbed a version of our logo with transparent
> bits intended to sit on a dark background. Where can I send a more
> suitable logo?

My personal preference would be if you could send a png that could work
with both light/dark modes, so we don't have to futz with the CSS on
this. You can send it here, or email it to me directly.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
Greg Sabino Mullane
Дата:
My personal preference would be if you could send a png that could work
with both light/dark modes, so we don't have to futz with the CSS on
this.

Attached please find a new one for Crunchy Data that should look decent in both modes.

Cheers,
Greg

Вложения

Re: pgweb commit: Logo updates for PostgreSQL sponsors

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 7/12/24 1:22 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 6:16 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     My personal preference would be if you could send a png that could work
>     with both light/dark modes, so we don't have to futz with the CSS on
>     this.
>

> Attached please find a new one for Crunchy Data that should look decent
> in both modes.

Thanks; I've made the swap.

Thanks,

Jonathan