Обсуждение: Commitfest manager for July 2024

Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"
Дата:
Hello everyone!

As Michael noted in e26810d01d4 [0] hacking for Postgres 17 has begun.
I’ve skimmed through hackers@ list. And it seems that so far role of the commitfest manager is vacant.

Is anyone up for doing this community work? Make things moving :)

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=e26810d01d4
[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Kirill Reshke
Дата:
> Postgres 17
18

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Corey Huinker
Дата:
I'll give it a shot.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 4:16 PM Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Postgres 17
18

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Hi,

This reminded me that one of the changes proposed at pgconf.dev was
having multiple CF managers, each responsible for a subset of the CF
entries. Do we want to do try that?

IIRC the idea was that it's not really feasible to shepherd ~400 patches
(the current count for 2024-07), especially if the person has other
things to do too, and spreading this over multiple people would make it
more manageable - perhaps even allowing more people to participate.

If we wanted to try this, would that require some improvements in the CF
app, e.g. to track which CF manager is responsible for each entry?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
"Andrey M. Borodin"

> On 3 Jul 2024, at 01:08, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'll give it a shot.

Great, thank you! Do you have extended access to CF? Like activity log and mass-mail functions?
If no I think someone from PG_INFRA can grant you necessary access.

> On 3 Jul 2024, at 20:21, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> This reminded me that one of the changes proposed at pgconf.dev was
> having multiple CF managers, each responsible for a subset of the CF
> entries. Do we want to do try that?
>
> IIRC the idea was that it's not really feasible to shepherd ~400 patches
> (the current count for 2024-07), especially if the person has other
> things to do too, and spreading this over multiple people would make it
> more manageable - perhaps even allowing more people to participate.
>
> If we wanted to try this, would that require some improvements in the CF
> app, e.g. to track which CF manager is responsible for each entry?

Maybe can we just coordinate here? If Corey does not mind, I'd happily help with 2-3 sections. I particularly like
"Replicationand recovery" and "Server features", but would be glad to take any.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On 7/3/24 18:51, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:

>> On 3 Jul 2024, at 01:08, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'll give it a shot.
>
> Great, thank you! Do you have extended access to CF? Like activity
> log and mass-mail functions? If no I think someone from PG_INFRA can
> grant you necessary access.
>

>> On 3 Jul 2024, at 20:21, Tomas Vondra
>> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> This reminded me that one of the changes proposed at pgconf.dev
>> was having multiple CF managers, each responsible for a subset of
>> the CF entries. Do we want to do try that?
>>
>> IIRC the idea was that it's not really feasible to shepherd ~400
>> patches (the current count for 2024-07), especially if the person
>> has other things to do too, and spreading this over multiple people
>> would make it more manageable - perhaps even allowing more people
>> to participate.
>>
>> If we wanted to try this, would that require some improvements in
>> the CF app, e.g. to track which CF manager is responsible for each
>> entry?
>>

> Maybe can we just coordinate here? If Corey does not mind, I'd
> happily help with 2-3 sections. I particularly like "Replication and
> recovery" and "Server features", but would be glad to take any.

Sure, why not? If you're both OK with splitting the CFM work, feel free
to decide how to divide the patches. I have imagined would be randomized
in some way, to make it more likely the amount of work is more even
(maybe some of the sections are much larger / more active?), but it's up
to the people doing the work really - no one has the authority to tell
you how to do things ;-)

Maybe there are more people who'd like to help with this - more people
means less daunting amount of work per person ...

Another thing suggested in the "commitfest thread" nearby was that maybe
we should organize a "status update" pass over the entries, where the
more senior developers go over the patches and write some short summary
of what they think needs to happen for each patch to move it forward

I think the conclusion was that it needs to happen early in the cycle,
but that summer won't work because people tend to take vacation etc. So
I guess we shall leave that for the September CF.

But if either of you (as CF managers) thinks some patch is stuck and
would benefit from such feedback, maybe ping me and I'll take a look and
see if I can suggest something.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/3/24 12:51, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>> On 3 Jul 2024, at 01:08, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'll give it a shot.
>
> Great, thank you! Do you have extended access to CF? Like activity log and mass-mail functions?
> If no I think someone from PG_INFRA can grant you necessary access.

I can do that, although given that Corey and I are colleagues, it might
be better if someone else on pginfra did.

Or at least if a few other hackers tell me to "just do it"...

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: Commitfest manager for July 2024

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/8/24 11:38, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 7/3/24 12:51, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>>> On 3 Jul 2024, at 01:08, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll give it a shot.
>>
>> Great, thank you! Do you have extended access to CF? Like activity log and mass-mail functions?
>> If no I think someone from PG_INFRA can grant you necessary access.
>
> I can do that, although given that Corey and I are colleagues, it might
> be better if someone else on pginfra did.
>
> Or at least if a few other hackers tell me to "just do it"...

Based on off-list (sysadmin telegram channel) confirmation from Magnus
and Dave Page -- done