Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for PostgreSQL 15 Beta
2. Please provide feedback on technical accuracy and if there are
glaring omissions.

Please provide any feedback prior to 2022-06-22 0:00 AoE.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
Op 29-06-2022 om 02:04 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
> Hi,

'not advise you to run PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1'    should be
'not advise you to run PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2'

Erik

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
Pantelis Theodosiou
Дата:
> Upgrading to PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2
> ---------------------------------
>
> To upgrade to PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2 from an earlier version of PostgreSQL,
> you will need to use a strategy similar to upgrading between major versions of
> PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` / `pg_restore`). For more
> information, please visit the documentation section on
> [upgrading](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/static/upgrading.html).

Is the major version upgrade still needed if they are upgrading from 15 Beta 1?

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 6/29/22 2:55 AM, Pantelis Theodosiou wrote:
>> Upgrading to PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2
>> ---------------------------------
>>
>> To upgrade to PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2 from an earlier version of PostgreSQL,
>> you will need to use a strategy similar to upgrading between major versions of
>> PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` / `pg_restore`). For more
>> information, please visit the documentation section on
>> [upgrading](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/static/upgrading.html).
>
> Is the major version upgrade still needed if they are upgrading from 15 Beta 1?

No, but it would be required if you a upgrading from a different
version. The language attempts to be a "catch all" to account for the
different cases.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 6/29/22 2:12 AM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> Op 29-06-2022 om 02:04 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
>> Hi,
>>

> 'not advise you to run PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1'    should be
> 'not advise you to run PostgreSQL 15 Beta 2'

Thanks; I adjusted the copy.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

Дата:
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 6/29/22 2:55 AM, Pantelis Theodosiou wrote:
>> Is the major version upgrade still needed if they are upgrading from 15 Beta 1?

> No, but it would be required if you a upgrading from a different
> version. The language attempts to be a "catch all" to account for the
> different cases.

Actually, I think you do need the hard-way upgrade, because there was a
catversion bump since beta1.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 6/29/22 9:30 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On 6/29/22 2:55 AM, Pantelis Theodosiou wrote:
>>> Is the major version upgrade still needed if they are upgrading from 15 Beta 1?
>
>> No, but it would be required if you a upgrading from a different
>> version. The language attempts to be a "catch all" to account for the
>> different cases.
>
> Actually, I think you do need the hard-way upgrade, because there was a
> catversion bump since beta1.

Oh -- I didn't see that when I scanned the commit logs, but good to know.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
Op 29-06-2022 om 02:04 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a draft of the release announcement for PostgreSQL 15 Beta
> 2. Please provide feedback on technical accuracy and if there are
> glaring omissions.

Hardly 'glaring' but still:

'Multiples fixes'  should be
'Multiple fixes'

> Please provide any feedback prior to 2022-06-22 0:00 AoE.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Re: PostgreSQL 15 beta 2 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 6/29/22 3:07 PM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> Op 29-06-2022 om 02:04 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is a draft of the release announcement for PostgreSQL 15 Beta
>> 2. Please provide feedback on technical accuracy and if there are
>> glaring omissions.
>
> Hardly 'glaring' but still:
>
> 'Multiples fixes'  should be
> 'Multiple fixes'

I think this could make or break the announcement :)

Thanks for the catch -- fixed in the local copy. I'll read through again
for other typos prior to release.

Jonathan

Вложения