Обсуждение: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

Whole Database or Table AES encryption

От
Aaron Gray
Дата:
Hi,

Is there any way to (virtually) encrypt whole databases or tables with
AES or other types of encryption ?

Regards,
Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language
Researcher, Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

Дата:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 05:21:41PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to (virtually) encrypt whole databases or tables with
> AES or other types of encryption ?

You can use storage encryption via the operating system.  Cybertec has a
patch for PG 12 and the community is working on an implementation,
perhaps for PG 16.  You can also do column-level encryption on the
server side via pgcrypto, or on the client side.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

От
Aaron Gray
Дата:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 at 18:01, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 05:21:41PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to (virtually) encrypt whole databases or tables with
> > AES or other types of encryption ?
>
> You can use storage encryption via the operating system.  Cybertec has a
> patch for PG 12 and the community is working on an implementation,
> perhaps for PG 16.

I would be very interested in this, are there any further pointers as
to where to look at this ?
Is there a repo branch in place working on this or any documentation ?

Cheers,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language
Researcher, Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
Is there any way to (virtually) encrypt whole databases or tables with
AES or other types of encryption ?
You can use storage encryption via the operating system.  Cybertec has a
patch for PG 12 and the community is working on an implementation,
perhaps for PG 16.
I would be very interested in this, are there any further pointers as
to where to look at this ?
Is there a repo branch in place working on this or any documentation ?

Cheers,

Aaron

There is a commercial product which supports database encryption, including PostgreSQL, it's called Voltage:

https://www.techtarget.com/searchsecurity/feature/HP-Security-Voltages-SecureData-Enterprise-Product-overview

The company that I work for uses it to encrypt data in both Oracle and PostgreSQL databases.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

Дата:

    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

От
Aaron Gray
Дата:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 00:32, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 11:55:09PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:

> > I would be very interested in this, are there any further pointers as
> > to where to look at this ?
> > Is there a repo branch in place working on this or any documentation ?
>
>         https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption

Many thanks,

Aaron

Re: Whole Database or Table AES encryption

От
Aaron Gray
Дата:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 00:00, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a commercial product which supports database encryption, including PostgreSQL, it's called Voltage:
>
> https://www.techtarget.com/searchsecurity/feature/HP-Security-Voltages-SecureData-Enterprise-Product-overview
>
> The company that I work for uses it to encrypt data in both Oracle and PostgreSQL databases.

I was looking for open source solutions, but thanks anyway.

Aaron