Обсуждение: typo in sentence

typo in sentence

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/manage-ag-overview.html

The sentence has a typo: "If one PostgreSQL server instance is to house
projects or users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of
each other, it is therefore recommended to put them into separate
databases."

The word "therefore" ("it is therefore recommended") is mistakenly included.
To correct the mistake, just remove the word.
Keep up your awesomeness!

Regards.

Re: typo in sentence

От
Magnus Hagander

The sentence has a typo: "If one PostgreSQL server instance is to house
projects or users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of
each other, it is therefore recommended to put them into separate
databases."

The word "therefore" ("it is therefore recommended") is mistakenly included.
To correct the mistake, just remove the word.
Keep up your awesomeness!

I'm not sure this is a mistake. The "therefore" refers to the statement in the previous sentence, explaining *why* it is recommended.

--

Re: typo in sentence

От
Ganesh A Hegde
Дата:
There is only a single sentence starting with 'if' and not two. The phrase 'it is therefore ..' is preceded by a comma and not a period. Hence, there's a single sentence and not two as you are referring to.

Regards.

The sentence has a typo: "If one PostgreSQL server instance is to house
projects or users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of
each other, it is therefore recommended to put them into separate
databases."

The word "therefore" ("it is therefore recommended") is mistakenly included.
To correct the mistake, just remove the word.
Keep up your awesomeness!

I'm not sure this is a mistake. The "therefore" refers to the statement in the previous sentence, explaining *why* it is recommended.

--

Re: typo in sentence

Дата:
Ganesh A Hegde <sgurukrupa@gmail.com> writes:
> There is only a single sentence starting with 'if' and not two. The phrase
> 'it is therefore ..' is preceded by a comma and not a period. Hence,
> there's a single sentence and not two as you are referring to.

I concur with Magnus that the "therefore" refers to the sentences
preceding this one.  While we could just drop it as you suggest,
maybe better is to rearrange:

    Therefore, if one PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or
    users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of each
    other, it is recommended to put them into separate databases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: typo in sentence

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Ganesh A Hegde <sgurukrupa@gmail.com> writes:
> There is only a single sentence starting with 'if' and not two. The phrase
> 'it is therefore ..' is preceded by a comma and not a period. Hence,
> there's a single sentence and not two as you are referring to.

I concur with Magnus that the "therefore" refers to the sentences
preceding this one.  While we could just drop it as you suggest,
maybe better is to rearrange:

    Therefore, if one PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or
    users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of each
    other, it is recommended to put them into separate databases.

I put forth a minor reworking of this page a little while back.

David J.

Re: typo in sentence

Дата:
On Tue, Aug  4, 2020 at 06:03:26PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>     Ganesh A Hegde <sgurukrupa@gmail.com> writes:
>     > There is only a single sentence starting with 'if' and not two. The
>     phrase
>     > 'it is therefore ..' is preceded by a comma and not a period. Hence,
>     > there's a single sentence and not two as you are referring to.
>
>     I concur with Magnus that the "therefore" refers to the sentences
>     preceding this one.  While we could just drop it as you suggest,
>     maybe better is to rearrange:
>
>         Therefore, if one PostgreSQL server instance is to house projects or
>         users that should be separate and for the most part unaware of each
>         other, it is recommended to put them into separate databases.
>

> I put forth a minor reworking of this page a little while back.

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/
> CAKFQuwacZW-gNLyScFKFxCg_g7QtT7_HQMOyexuV2zUj=eQFAw@mail.gmail.com

Great.  I made a few slight adjustments and applied it back through 9.5.