Обсуждение: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
Hi,

Here are three strange recent failures in the "rules" test:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=blenny&dt=2019-08-13%2022:19:27
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=alewife&dt=2019-07-27%2009:39:05
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dory&dt=2019-07-18%2003:00:27

They all raised "ERROR:  could not open relation with OID <varies>"
while running:

 SELECT viewname, definition FROM pg_views
 WHERE schemaname IN ('pg_catalog', 'public')
 ORDER BY viewname;

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

Дата:
> Here are three strange recent failures in the "rules" test:
> They all raised "ERROR:  could not open relation with OID <varies>"
> while running:
>  SELECT viewname, definition FROM pg_views
>  WHERE schemaname IN ('pg_catalog', 'public')
>  ORDER BY viewname;

I think the problem is probably that Peter ignored this bit of advice
in parallel_schedule:

# rules cannot run concurrently with any test that creates
# a view or rule in the public schema

when he inserted "collate.linux.utf8" concurrently with "rules".

(I suspect BTW that the point is not so much that you better not
*create* such an object, as that you better not *drop* it concurrently
with that query.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while queryingpg_views

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-08-14 05:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
>> Here are three strange recent failures in the "rules" test:
>> They all raised "ERROR:  could not open relation with OID <varies>"
>> while running:
>>  SELECT viewname, definition FROM pg_views
>>  WHERE schemaname IN ('pg_catalog', 'public')
>>  ORDER BY viewname;
>
> I think the problem is probably that Peter ignored this bit of advice
> in parallel_schedule:
>
> # rules cannot run concurrently with any test that creates
> # a view or rule in the public schema
>
> when he inserted "collate.linux.utf8" concurrently with "rules".

This test file is set up to create everything in the "collate_tests"
schema.  Is that not working correctly?

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

Дата:
> On 2019-08-14 05:52, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> They all raised "ERROR:  could not open relation with OID <varies>"
>>> while running:
>>> SELECT viewname, definition FROM pg_views
>>> WHERE schemaname IN ('pg_catalog', 'public')
>>> ORDER BY viewname;

>> I think the problem is probably that Peter ignored this bit of advice
>> in parallel_schedule:
>> # rules cannot run concurrently with any test that creates
>> # a view or rule in the public schema
>> when he inserted "collate.linux.utf8" concurrently with "rules".

> This test file is set up to create everything in the "collate_tests"
> schema.  Is that not working correctly?

Oh, hmm --- yeah, that should mean it's safe.  Maybe somebody incautiously
changed one of the other tests that run concurrently with "rules"?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Oh, hmm --- yeah, that should mean it's safe.  Maybe somebody incautiously
> changed one of the other tests that run concurrently with "rules"?

Looks like stats_ext.sql could be the problem.  It creates and drops
priv_test_view, not in a schema.  Adding Dean, author of commit
d7f8d26d.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while queryingpg_views

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:24:26PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Oh, hmm --- yeah, that should mean it's safe.  Maybe somebody incautiously
>> changed one of the other tests that run concurrently with "rules"?
>
>Looks like stats_ext.sql could be the problem.  It creates and drops
>priv_test_view, not in a schema.  Adding Dean, author of commit
>d7f8d26d.

Yeah, that seems like it might be the cause. I'll take a look at fixing
this, probably by creating the view in a different schema.

regards

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

Дата:
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:24:26PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Oh, hmm --- yeah, that should mean it's safe.  Maybe somebody incautiously
>>> changed one of the other tests that run concurrently with "rules"?

>> Looks like stats_ext.sql could be the problem.  It creates and drops
>> priv_test_view, not in a schema.  Adding Dean, author of commit
>> d7f8d26d.

> Yeah, that seems like it might be the cause. I'll take a look at fixing
> this, probably by creating the view in a different schema.

Ping?  We're still getting intermittent failures of this ilk, eg

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dragonet&dt=2019-09-14%2003%3A37%3A03

With v12 release approaching, I'd like to not have failures
like this in a released branch.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 05:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
> >> Looks like stats_ext.sql could be the problem.  It creates and drops
> >> priv_test_view, not in a schema.  Adding Dean, author of commit
> >> d7f8d26d.
>
> > Yeah, that seems like it might be the cause. I'll take a look at fixing
> > this, probably by creating the view in a different schema.
>
> Ping?  We're still getting intermittent failures of this ilk, eg
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dragonet&dt=2019-09-14%2003%3A37%3A03
>
> With v12 release approaching, I'd like to not have failures
> like this in a released branch.

Ah sorry, I missed this thread before. As author of that commit, it's
really on me to fix it, and the cause seems pretty clear-cut, so I'll
aim to get that done today.

Regards,
Dean

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while queryingpg_views

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:16:30AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 05:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

>> > Yeah, that seems like it might be the cause. I'll take a look at fixing
>> > this, probably by creating the view in a different schema.
>>
>> Ping?  We're still getting intermittent failures of this ilk, eg
>>
>> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dragonet&dt=2019-09-14%2003%3A37%3A03
>>
>> With v12 release approaching, I'd like to not have failures
>> like this in a released branch.
>>

>Ah sorry, I missed this thread before. As author of that commit, it's
>really on me to fix it, and the cause seems pretty clear-cut, so I'll
>aim to get that done today.

FWIW here is a draft patch that I was going to propose - it simply moves
the table+view into a "tststats" schema. I suppose that's rougly what we
discussed earlier in this thread.

regards

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 11:11, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:16:30AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> >
> >Ah sorry, I missed this thread before. As author of that commit, it's
> >really on me to fix it, and the cause seems pretty clear-cut, so I'll
> >aim to get that done today.
>
> FWIW here is a draft patch that I was going to propose - it simply moves
> the table+view into a "tststats" schema. I suppose that's rougly what we
> discussed earlier in this thread.

Yes, that matches what I just drafted.
Do you want to push it, or shall I?

Regards,
Dean

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while queryingpg_views

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 11:27:19AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 11:11, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 10:16:30AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>> >
>> >Ah sorry, I missed this thread before. As author of that commit, it's
>> >really on me to fix it, and the cause seems pretty clear-cut, so I'll
>> >aim to get that done today.
>>
>> FWIW here is a draft patch that I was going to propose - it simply moves
>> the table+view into a "tststats" schema. I suppose that's rougly what we
>> discussed earlier in this thread.
>>

>Yes, that matches what I just drafted.
>Do you want to push it, or shall I?

Please go ahead and push. I'm temporarily without commit access.

regards

Re: BF failure: could not open relation with OID XXXX while querying pg_views

От
Dean Rasheed
Дата:
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 12:20, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 11:27:19AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:

> >> FWIW here is a draft patch that I was going to propose - it simply moves
> >> the table+view into a "tststats" schema. I suppose that's rougly what we
> >> discussed earlier in this thread.
> >>

> >Yes, that matches what I just drafted.
> >Do you want to push it, or shall I?
>
> Please go ahead and push. I'm temporarily without commit access.

OK, pushed.

Regards,
Dean