Обсуждение: Fix typos

Fix typos

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
Hi,

Attached fixes some typos for "serialise" => "serialize" and "materialise" => "materialize".

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/

Вложения

Re: Fix typos

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 08:24:17AM -0400, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
> Attached fixes some typos for "serialise" => "serialize" and "materialise"
> => "materialize".

These don't seem to be typos:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/materialise
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/serialise
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Fix typos

Дата:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 08:24:17AM -0400, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
>> Attached fixes some typos for "serialise" => "serialize" and "materialise"
>> => "materialize".

> These don't seem to be typos:
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/materialise
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/serialise

It's British vs. American spelling.  For the most part, Postgres
follows American spelling, but there's the odd Briticism here and
there.  I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to standardize.
I think the most recent opinion on this was Munro's:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+hUKGJz-pdMgWXroiwvN-aeG4-AjdWj3gWdQKOSa8g65spdVw@mail.gmail.com

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fix typos

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Aug-01, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's British vs. American spelling.  For the most part, Postgres
> follows American spelling, but there's the odd Briticism here and
> there.  I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to standardize.
> I think the most recent opinion on this was Munro's:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+hUKGJz-pdMgWXroiwvN-aeG4-AjdWj3gWdQKOSa8g65spdVw@mail.gmail.com

I think slight variations don't really detract from the value of the
product, and consider the odd variation a reminder of the diversity of
the project.  I don't suggest that we purposefully introduce spelling
variations, or that we refrain from fixing ones that appear in code
we're changing, but I don't see the point in changing a line for the
sole reason of standardising the spelling of a word.

That said, I'm not a native English speaker.

Re: Fix typos

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 11:01:59PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think slight variations don't really detract from the value of the
> product, and consider the odd variation a reminder of the diversity of
> the project.  I don't suggest that we purposefully introduce spelling
> variations, or that we refrain from fixing ones that appear in code
> we're changing, but I don't see the point in changing a line for the
> sole reason of standardising the spelling of a word.

Agreed.  This always reminds me of ANALYZE vs. ANALYSE where we don't
actually document the latter :)

> That said, I'm not a native English speaker.

Neither am I.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Fix typos

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
It's British vs. American spelling.  For the most part, Postgres
follows American spelling, but there's the odd Briticism here and
there.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought that might be the case but didn't find any other usages of "serialise" so was not sure.

  I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to standardize.
I think the most recent opinion on this was Munro's:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+hUKGJz-pdMgWXroiwvN-aeG4-AjdWj3gWdQKOSa8g65spdVw@mail.gmail.com

Either reads fine to me and the best rationale I can think of for going with one spelling is to not have the same "fix" come up again.

If there is a desire to change this, attached is updated to include one more instance of "materialise" and a change to the commit message to match some similar ones I found in the past.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/

Вложения

Re: Fix typos

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:11 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 11:01:59PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think slight variations don't really detract from the value of the
> product, and consider the odd variation a reminder of the diversity of
> the project.  I don't suggest that we purposefully introduce spelling
> variations, or that we refrain from fixing ones that appear in code
> we're changing, but I don't see the point in changing a line for the
> sole reason of standardising the spelling of a word.

Agreed.  This always reminds me of ANALYZE vs. ANALYSE where we don't
actually document the latter :)

I didn't know about that. That's a fun one!

> That said, I'm not a native English speaker.

Neither am I.

I am. Consistency is nice but either reads fine to me. Only brought it up as I didn't see many other usages so seemed out of place.