Обсуждение: Need of maintaining unsupported release notes in HEAD?

Need of maintaining unsupported release notes in HEAD?

От
Haribabu Kommi
Дата:
Hi All,

From the latest HEAD code, I observed that we are still updating the unsupported
versions of the release notes sgml files. I can understand that these supported
version files are required for easier back-branch releases.

I vaguely remember that some one bring up this discussion some time ago,
but I am not able to find those details. I didn't find any need of these older release
notes in the HEAD, I doubt that any one refers them. Is there any specific reason exist for these unsupported version release notes files?

Following is a git log of release-9.1.sgml update on today's HEAD:

578b229718 Remove WITH OIDS support, change oid catalog column visibility.
e568eed2fc doc: Fix links to pg_stat_replication
3c49c6facb Convert documentation to DocBook XML
1ff01b3902 Convert SGML IDs to lower case
c29c578908 Don't use SGML empty tags
1c53f612bc Escape < and & in SGML
9ed74fd463 doc:  update markup for release note "release date" block
50c956add8 Remove createlang and droplang

Attached patch removes all the older release notes sgml files from HEAD.
And also going forward, how about removing one major version file whenever that is unsupported from HEAD?

comments?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia
Вложения

Re: Need of maintaining unsupported release notes in HEAD?

От
Andreas Karlsson
Дата:
On 11/21/18 2:51 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:> Attached patch removes all
the older release notes sgml files from HEAD.
> And also going forward, how about removing one major version file
> whenever that is unsupported from HEAD?
>
> comments?

I have found these old notes useful multiple times in the past,
especially when dealing with no longer supported versions of PostgreSQL
or just to quickly check when some feature was first introduced. And
removing them from the current master would make them a bit harder to
navigate for a, in my opinion, tiny gain in reduced maintenance burden.

Andreas

Re: Need of maintaining unsupported release notes in HEAD?

Дата:
Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> writes:
> On 11/21/18 2:51 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:> Attached patch removes all
> the older release notes sgml files from HEAD.
>> And also going forward, how about removing one major version file
>> whenever that is unsupported from HEAD?

> I have found these old notes useful multiple times in the past,
> especially when dealing with no longer supported versions of PostgreSQL
> or just to quickly check when some feature was first introduced. And
> removing them from the current master would make them a bit harder to
> navigate for a, in my opinion, tiny gain in reduced maintenance burden.

Yeah, "delete them altogether" seems to be a nonstarter.  There was some
discussion in the last thread about shoving the old release notes out to a
different document, or putting them on the website separately, and perhaps
that would fly.  But nobody's done the work to make it happen.

            regards, tom lane