Обсуждение: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Paul Judson

I've seen that BDR may be rolled into core PostgreSQL version 12 and was wondering if anyone knows if that BDR support will be extended to Windows or if it will remain a non-WIndows feature.

Thanks,

Paul Judson

paul.judson@microfocus.com

Re: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Andrew Smith

I've seen that BDR may be rolled into core PostgreSQL version 12 and was wondering if anyone knows if that BDR support will be extended to Windows or if it will remain a non-WIndows feature.

I've been waiting for years for multi master support in PostgreSQL on Windows. Surely if it's being added to the main code base it'll have to be supported on every platform? Are there any core features at the moment that are Linux only?

Re: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Andrew Smith schrieb am 16.11.2018 um 11:01:
> Are there any core features at the
> moment that are Linux only?

JIT, introduced in Postgres 11, comes to mind

Re: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Ravi Krishna

> Andrew Smith schrieb am 16.11.2018 um 11:01:
>> Are there any core features at the
>> moment that are Linux only?
>
> JIT, introduced in Postgres 11, comes to mind

A better question should be, are there any production users of PG on Windows :-)

Re: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
"Arnaud L."
Дата:
Le 16/11/2018 à 15:28, Ravi Krishna a écrit :
> A better question should be, are there any production users of PG on Windows :-)

And the answer is yes, there are some !

Cheers
--
Arnaud

RE: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Igor Neyman
WARNING: This email originated from outside of Perceptron! Please be mindful of PHISHING and MALWARE risks.

> Andrew Smith schrieb am 16.11.2018 um 11:01:
>> Are there any core features at the
>> moment that are Linux only?
>
> JIT, introduced in Postgres 11, comes to mind

A better question should be, are there any production users of PG on Windows :-)

Not funny for those who HAS TO run PG on Windows.
Let's not start "OS wars" here. Windows is one of the platforms Postgres supports.

Re: BDR and PostgreSQL 12 and Windows support

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 3:15 PM Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
Andrew Smith schrieb am 16.11.2018 um 11:01:
> Are there any core features at the
> moment that are Linux only?

JIT, introduced in Postgres 11, comes to mind

JIT is not Linux only.

It currently does not work on Windows AFAIK, but it does work on a number of other non-Linux OSes.

And there are other things that don't work on Windows, such as e.g. peer authentication. They are significantly more minor features though.