Обсуждение: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Haribabu Kommi
Дата:
Hi All,

I am not able to find any docs suggesting that PostgreSQL logical replication supports
cross platform servers (windows --> Linux or vice-versa).

When I tried with simple basic commands and it worked and also some of the other members are also suggesting to use logical replication for the above scenarios in [1].

But I am unable find this support mentioning in the docs, Do we support? or any problems? If it supports it is better to update the docs.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
I am not able to find any docs suggesting that PostgreSQL logical replication supports
cross platform servers (windows --> Linux or vice-versa).

It should. I don't think there's buildfarm coverage yet, though.

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 06/11/2018 11:28 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 12 June 2018 at 11:04, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com
> <mailto:kommi.haribabu@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     I am not able to find any docs suggesting that PostgreSQL logical
>     replication supports
>     cross platform servers (windows --> Linux or vice-versa).
>

> It should. I don't think there's buildfarm coverage yet, though.

Designing something like that would be more than interesting. We'd need
two or more co-operating animals, a concept that's currently quite
foreign to the buildfarm. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would
be a substantial piece of work. Probably the place to start would be the
save-bin feature discussed elsewhere for things like cross-version
pg_dump/pg_restore checking. We already do that for cross-version
pg_upgrade testing, so it would need to be generalized.

cheers

andrew

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Haribabu Kommi

I am not able to find any docs suggesting that PostgreSQL logical replication supports
cross platform servers (windows --> Linux or vice-versa).

It should. I don't think there's buildfarm coverage yet, though.

Thanks for the confirmation.
This is a good use case that must be explicitly mentioned in the docs.
How about the attached patch?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia
Вложения

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

Дата:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:42:14AM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>     On 12 June 2018 at 11:04, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Hi All,
>
>         I am not able to find any docs suggesting that PostgreSQL logical
>         replication supports
>         cross platform servers (windows --> Linux or vice-versa).
>

>     It should. I don't think there's buildfarm coverage yet, though.
>

> Thanks for the confirmation.
> This is a good use case that must be explicitly mentioned in the docs.
> How about the attached patch?

OK, doc patch added to git head.  Let me know if I should back patch it
further.  Thanks.

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Haribabu Kommi
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 6:36 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:42:14AM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Thanks for the confirmation.
> This is a good use case that must be explicitly mentioned in the docs.
> How about the attached patch?

OK, doc patch added to git head.  Let me know if I should back patch it
further.  Thanks.

Thanks for the commit.
Yes, it needs to be back patched till 10 stable.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:16:07PM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 6:36 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:42:14AM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>     >
>     > Thanks for the confirmation.
>     > This is a good use case that must be explicitly mentioned in the docs.
>     > How about the attached patch?
>
>     OK, doc patch added to git head.  Let me know if I should back patch it
>     further.  Thanks.
>

> Thanks for the commit.
> Yes, it needs to be back patched till 10 stable.

Sure, done, thanks.

Re: Does logical replication supports cross platform servers?

От
Haribabu Kommi
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:16:07PM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 6:36 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:42:14AM +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>     >
>     > Thanks for the confirmation.
>     > This is a good use case that must be explicitly mentioned in the docs.
>     > How about the attached patch?
>
>     OK, doc patch added to git head.  Let me know if I should back patch it
>     further.  Thanks.
>

> Thanks for the commit.
> Yes, it needs to be back patched till 10 stable.

Sure, done, thanks.

Thanks.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi