Обсуждение: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
I am trying PgAdmin4 v2.0 on Windows 10.

Kudos, looks nice and good speed improvement.

Only two minor annoyances.

1. The browser font is still very small and no option to
change in preferences.

2. In query tool, the runtime for a query is only displayed for a
short period and is then removed. This is a change from PgAdmin III
where it was displayed until another query is run. I believe the latter is the preferred option.

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Murtuza Zabuawala
Дата:
Hi Melvin,

I am trying PgAdmin4 v2.0 on Windows 10.

Kudos, looks nice and good speed improvement.

Only two minor annoyances.

1. The browser font is still very small and no option to
change in preferences.
- Are you running pgAdmin4 in browser or as a Desktop application?​
​- ​
​What is your screen resolution?

2. In query tool, the runtime for a query is only displayed for a
short period and is then removed. This is a change from PgAdmin III
where it was displayed until another query is run. I believe the latter is the preferred option.
​Are you talking about the popup that displayed on right bottom corner of screen?
I am able to see the query runtime until I execute next query in `Messages' tab and also we store it in History tab, attaching screenshot for your reference.
 ​

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Harshal Dhumal
Дата:
I am trying PgAdmin4 v2.0 on Windows 10.

Kudos, looks nice and good speed improvement.

Only two minor annoyances.

1. The browser font is still very small and no option to
change in preferences.
- Are you running pgAdmin4 in browser or as a Desktop application?​
​- ​
​What is your screen resolution?

2. In query tool, the runtime for a query is only displayed for a
short period and is then removed. This is a change from PgAdmin III
where it was displayed until another query is run. I believe the latter is the preferred option.
​Are you talking about the popup that displayed on right bottom corner of screen?
I am able to see the query runtime until I execute next query in `Messages' tab and also we store it in History tab, attaching screenshot for your reference.

There is Query info notifier timeout preference under Display category of SQL editor
where you can specify how long you want to see the notification (attached screenshot).

Inline image 2

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
>Are you talking about the popup that displayed on right bottom corner
>of screen?

Yes, but now that I see it is in Messages and Query History tabs, I
believe that is actually better. Thanks.

However, upon a second look,  I noticed that the indicators for
cursor Line, Column and Character are missing from the Query screen.
EG: Ln 5, Col 4, Ch 49

In fact, the
status line is gone altogether.

[...]

Дата:
- Are you running pgAdmin4 in browser or as a Desktop application?​
​- ​
​What is your screen resolution?

Running in Dekstop.
Resolution is 1920 X 1080

>There is Query info notifier timeout preference under Display category
>of SQL editor where you can specify how long you want to see the >notification (attached screenshot).

Thanks, that is helpful, but why bother? The old way is better. Just
put back the STATUS LINE!

[...]

Дата:
- Are you running pgAdmin4 in browser or as a Desktop application?​
​- ​
​What is your screen resolution?

Running in Dekstop.
Resolution is 1920 X 1080
​Have you tried zoom-in & zoom-out functionality?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Are you talking about the popup that displayed on right bottom corner
>of screen?

Yes, but now that I see it is in Messages and Query History tabs, I
believe that is actually better. Thanks.

However, upon a second look,  I noticed that the indicators for
cursor Line, Column and Character are missing from the Query screen.
EG: Ln 5, Col 4, Ch 49

In fact, the
status line is gone altogether.
​Yes, as of now we do not have status bar in query editor.​

[...]

Дата:
>Have you tried zoom-in & zoom-out functionality?
​Ref: ​
>https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/dev/keyboard_shortcuts.html

ok, that is helpful, but still prefer the option to choose font
as in PgAdmin III. See attached.

IOW: STOP taking away features that were good in PgAdmin III and
STOP making users have to change the way they work. That is a
very bad policy!

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
I noticed that the dashboard has is not in the server panel by default,
but must be added. Was that intentional?

Also, in PgAdmin III, it was possible to select and cancel session(s).
However, in PgAdmin4 sessions can no longer be canceled/killed from the dashboard, only the associated transaction. That is a major change. As
a DBA, I need to be able to kill _sessions_. I can get around that with
SQL, but WHY the change? Please, STOP changing how PgAdmin works!

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Dave Page

I noticed that the dashboard has is not in the server panel by default,
but must be added. Was that intentional?

What does that mean?

Also, in PgAdmin III, it was possible to select and cancel session(s).
However, in PgAdmin4 sessions can no longer be canceled/killed from the dashboard, only the associated transaction. That is a major change.

pgAdmin 4 never did that. It’s not a change.

As
a DBA, I need to be able to kill _sessions_. I can get around that with
SQL, but WHY the change? Please, STOP changing how PgAdmin works!

Query cancellation was a feature that was added in response to user requests. Are you really asking us to stop adding new features?

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
I noticed that the dashboard has is not in the server panel by default,
but must be added. Was that intentional?

>What does that mean?

It means that when I installed v2. I could not figure out where there
dashboard was. Then I just happened to right click on the right side and
noticed there were options to Detach or "Add pane;". A mouse over on Add Panel gives the option to select Dashboard. Voila!

>pgAdmin 4 never did that. It’s not a change.

True, but PgAdmin III did!  See attached. THAT is a change in
functionality / feature!

>Query cancellation was a feature that was added in response to user >requests. Are you really asking us to stop adding new features?

No, I am asking you to restore old functionality. See above.

Query cancellation {pg_cancel_backend(pid int)} is not the same
as kill session {(pg_terminate_backend(pid int)}. They are two
different features. Apparently pg_terminate_backend(pid int) was
_replaced_ with pg_cancel_backend(pid int).

On 26 Sep 2017, at 20:36, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@yahoo.com> wrote:

I noticed that the dashboard has is not in the server panel by default,
but must be added. Was that intentional?

>What does that mean?

It means that when I installed v2. I could not figure out where there
dashboard was. Then I just happened to right click on the right side and
noticed there were options to Detach or "Add pane;". A mouse over on Add Panel gives the option to select Dashboard. Voila!

The dashboard hasn’t moved at all. You must have closed it at some point.

>pgAdmin 4 never did that. It’s not a change.

True, but PgAdmin III did!  See attached. THAT is a change in
functionality / feature!

pgAdmin III is a different application. It’s been discussed a number of times that pgAdmin 4 was never intended to be a carbon copy.

>Query cancellation was a feature that was added in response to user >requests. Are you really asking us to stop adding new features?

No, I am asking you to restore old functionality. See above.

Query cancellation {pg_cancel_backend(pid int)} is not the same
as kill session {(pg_terminate_backend(pid int)}. They are two
different features. Apparently pg_terminate_backend(pid int) was
_replaced_ with pg_cancel_backend(pid int).

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

I noticed that the dashboard has is not in the server panel by default,
but must be added. Was that intentional?

What does that mean?

Also, in PgAdmin III, it was possible to select and cancel session(s).
However, in PgAdmin4 sessions can no longer be canceled/killed from the dashboard, only the associated transaction. That is a major change.

pgAdmin 4 never did that. It’s not a change.

As
a DBA, I need to be able to kill _sessions_. I can get around that with
SQL, but WHY the change? Please, STOP changing how PgAdmin works!

Query cancellation was a feature that was added in response to user requests. Are you really asking us to stop adding new features?

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

<kill_session.jpg>

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Johann Spies
Дата:
pts rule name              description---- ----------------------
---------------------------------------------------1.0ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
0.5RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay domain 2.5 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes
spamprobability is 40 to 60%                            [score: 0.5000]

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 09:13:42PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> pgAdmin III is a different application. It’s been discussed a number
> of times that pgAdmin 4 was never intended to be a carbon copy.

This remark seems to me a bit mischievous.  You seem to intentionally
distort Melvyn's complains - much like politicians do.

He has got valid arguments.  Try and listen to him please.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager        Faks: 021-883 3691

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

The integrity and confidentiality of this email is governed by these terms / Hierdie terme bepaal die integriteit en
vertroulikheidvan hierdie epos. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer

Re: pgAdmin 4 v2.0 Release Candidate 2

От
Dave Page

 -1.0 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
  0.5 RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay domain
  2.5 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                             [score: 0.5000]

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 09:13:42PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> pgAdmin III is a different application. It’s been discussed a number
> of times that pgAdmin 4 was never intended to be a carbon copy.

This remark seems to me a bit mischievous.  You seem to intentionally
distort Melvyn's complains - much like politicians do.

He has got valid arguments.  Try and listen to him please.

I never said I wasn't listening - I'm already planning to try to sneak the feature he asked for into 2.0.

However, what I said stands; we *intentionally* left many features out of pgAdmin 4, as well as unintentionally missing a few (which we're working to add back in as people ask for them). pgAdmin 4 was never intended to be a carbon copy of pgAdmin III, specifically because part of the task was to get rid of unused features that cost time and effort to maintain. That's perfectly normal in the software world - and also happened in the transitions to pgAdmin II and pgAdmin III from the earlier versions.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company