Обсуждение: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

[DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
sahapasci@gmail.com
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html

Hi all,
There isn't any link between 9.4 - replication slot page and other newer
ones.

check pages;

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-replication-slots.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html

cheers

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Peter Eisentraut
> There isn't any link between 9.4 - replication slot page and other newer
> ones.
>
> check pages;
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-replication-slots.html
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html

Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
this point.

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/22/17 09:36, sahapasci@gmail.com wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > There isn't any link between 9.4 - replication slot page and other newer
> > ones.
> >
> > check pages;
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-replication-slots.html
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html
>
> Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
> this point.

Actually, we have the ability to create cross-version aliases in the
website database.  I don't know how we do it, but Magnus has done it
previously, so adding him in CC.

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/22/17 09:36, sahapasci@gmail.com wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > There isn&#39;t any link between 9.4 - replication slot page and other newer
> > ones.
> >
> > check pages;
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-replication-slots.html
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html
>
> Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
> this point.

Actually, we have the ability to create cross-version aliases in the
website database.  I don't know how we do it, but Magnus has done it
previously, so adding him in CC.

It's in the admin interface on the main website.

Is this going to affect a single page, pg_replication_slots,  or is this a systematic change that's going to be hitting a whole class of pages?

--

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/22/17 09:36, sahapasci@gmail.com wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > There isn&#39;t any link between 9.4 - replication slot page and other newer
> > ones.
> >
> > check pages;
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/catalog-pg-replication-slots.html
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-replication-slots.html
>
> Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
> this point.

Actually, we have the ability to create cross-version aliases in the
website database.  I don't know how we do it, but Magnus has done it
previously, so adding him in CC.

It's in the admin interface on the main website.

Is this going to affect a single page, pg_replication_slots,  or is this a systematic change that's going to be hitting a whole class of pages?

Nevermind, I got the problem wrong. I thought this was something we broken in *10*, but it's not. It was already back in 9.5. I'll just go add a mapping for them.

Quick look in the db, the following files exist in 10, not in 9.6, and don't have a mapping for them already:
 amcheck.html
 catalog-pg-partitioned-table.html
 catalog-pg-publication.html
 catalog-pg-publication-rel.html
 catalog-pg-sequence.html
 catalog-pg-statistic-ext.html
 catalog-pg-subscription.html
 catalog-pg-subscription-rel.html
 logical-replication-architecture.html
 logical-replication-config.html
 logical-replication-conflicts.html
 logical-replication.html
 logical-replication-monitoring.html
 logical-replication-publication.html
 logical-replication-quick-setup.html
 logical-replication-restrictions.html
 logical-replication-security.html
 logical-replication-subscription.html
 multivariate-statistics-examples.html
 pltcl-config.html
 pltcl-subtransactions.html
 protocol-logical-replication.html
 protocol-logicalrep-message-formats.html
 release-10-1.html
 release-10.html
 sasl-authentication.html
 spi-spi-register-relation.html
 spi-spi-register-trigger-data.html
 spi-spi-unregister-relation.html
 sql-alterpublication.html
 sql-alterstatistics.html
 sql-altersubscription.html
 sql-createpublication.html
 sql-createstatistics.html
 sql-createsubscription.html
 sql-droppublication.html
 sql-dropstatistics.html
 sql-dropsubscription.html
 typeconv-select.html
 view-pg-hba-file-rules.html
 view-pg-publication-tables.html
 view-pg-sequences.html

Are there any of those that existed before under a different name?

For 9.6:
 bloom.html
 catalog-pg-init-privs.html
 default-roles.html
 generic-wal.html
 how-parallel-query-works.html
 index-api.html
 indexes-index-only-scans.html
 parallel-plans.html
 parallel-query.html
 parallel-safety.html
 pgvisibility.html
 pltcl-error-handling.html
 progress-reporting.html
 release-9-6-1.html
 release-9-6-2.html
 release-9-6-3.html
 release-9-6-4.html
 release-9-6-5.html
 release-9-6-6.html
 release-9-6.html
 source-conventions.html
 sql-create-access-method.html
 sql-drop-access-method.html
 view-pg-config.html
 when-can-parallel-query-be-used.html

And for 9.5:
 app-pgrewind.html
 brin-builtin-opclasses.html
 brin-extensibility.html
 brin.html
 brin-intro.html
 catalog-pg-policy.html
 catalog-pg-replication-origin.html
 catalog-pg-transform.html
 custom-scan-execution.html
 custom-scan.html
 custom-scan-path.html
 custom-scan-plan.html
 ddl-rowsecurity.html
 event-trigger-table-rewrite-example.html
 fdw-row-locking.html
 infoschema-transforms.html
 release-9-5-10.html
 release-9-5-1.html
 release-9-5-2.html
 release-9-5-3.html
 release-9-5-4.html
 release-9-5-5.html
 release-9-5-6.html
 release-9-5-7.html
 release-9-5-8.html
 release-9-5-9.html
 release-9-5.html
 replication-origins.html
 sql-alterpolicy.html
 sql-createpolicy.html
 sql-createtransform.html
 sql-droppolicy.html
 sql-droptransform.html
 sql-importforeignschema.html
 tablesample-method.html
 tablesample-support-functions.html
 tsm-system-rows.html
 tsm-system-time.html
 view-pg-file-settings.html
 view-pg-policies.html
 view-pg-replication-origin-status.html
 view-pg-replication-slots.html

Any more that we need to add mappings for?

--

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

Дата:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> wrote:
>>> Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
>>> this point.

> Is this going to affect a single page, pg_replication_slots,  or is this a
> systematic change that's going to be hitting a whole class of pages?

I think this can be blamed on a9ba6195f, which I only back-patched as
far as 9.5 --- guess I didn't realize that the bogus section name
existed further back.  So I think the answer to your direct question
is "a single page", but maybe we should instead proceed by bringing 9.4
into line with the later branches and then updating the docs?

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> wrote:
>>> Because the name of the page has changed.  Not much to do about that at
>>> this point.

> Is this going to affect a single page, pg_replication_slots,  or is this a
> systematic change that's going to be hitting a whole class of pages?

I think this can be blamed on a9ba6195f, which I only back-patched as
far as 9.5 --- guess I didn't realize that the bogus section name
existed further back.  So I think the answer to your direct question
is "a single page", but maybe we should instead proceed by bringing 9.4
into line with the later branches and then updating the docs?

Adding the mapping to the website was a single row in a db table, and is already done, so it wasn't a lot of work. But there might be other reasons to change it of course, for consistency.

Of course, actually *changing* it in 9.4 now will break any external links pointing to it. Links within our own documentation will pick it up and change accordingly, but anything that's linking from the outside will generate 404s.

--

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

Дата:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think this can be blamed on a9ba6195f, which I only back-patched as
>> far as 9.5 --- guess I didn't realize that the bogus section name
>> existed further back.  So I think the answer to your direct question
>> is "a single page", but maybe we should instead proceed by bringing 9.4
>> into line with the later branches and then updating the docs?

> Adding the mapping to the website was a single row in a db table, and is
> already done, so it wasn't a lot of work. But there might be other reasons
> to change it of course, for consistency.

> Of course, actually *changing* it in 9.4 now will break any external links
> pointing to it. Links within our own documentation will pick it up and
> change accordingly, but anything that's linking from the outside will
> generate 404s.

The db table doesn't result in generating redirects then, I take it?

Since you already have a fix, I suppose we should leave well enough
alone.  This isn't a big enough deal to expend a lot of sweat on.

Re: [DOCS] pg_replication_slots page links

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think this can be blamed on a9ba6195f, which I only back-patched as
>> far as 9.5 --- guess I didn't realize that the bogus section name
>> existed further back.  So I think the answer to your direct question
>> is "a single page", but maybe we should instead proceed by bringing 9.4
>> into line with the later branches and then updating the docs?

> Adding the mapping to the website was a single row in a db table, and is
> already done, so it wasn't a lot of work. But there might be other reasons
> to change it of course, for consistency.

> Of course, actually *changing* it in 9.4 now will break any external links
> pointing to it. Links within our own documentation will pick it up and
> change accordingly, but anything that's linking from the outside will
> generate 404s.

The db table doesn't result in generating redirects then, I take it?

Nope, the db table doesn't have the versions. It's just:

pgweb=> select * from docsalias  where id=6;
 id |               file1               |             file2
  6 | catalog-pg-replication-slots.html | view-pg-replication-slots.html
(1 row)

So trying to figure out exactly what and where to redirect would be way too hard to get right I think.

Since you already have a fix, I suppose we should leave well enough
alone.  This isn't a big enough deal to expend a lot of sweat on.

Agreed.