Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

[HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Josh Berkus
Hackers:

You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes
hasbeen even more

absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
PostgreSQL work.

For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
Core Team.

I joined the PostgreSQL Core Team in 2003.  I decided to take on project
advocacy, with the goal of making PostgreSQL one of the top three
databases in the world.  Thanks to the many contributions by both
advocacy volunteers and developers -- as well as the efforts by
companies like EnterpriseDB and Heroku -- we've achieved that goal.
Along the way, we proved that community ownership of an OSS project can
compete with, and ultimately outlast, venture-funded startups.

Now we need new leadership who can take PostgreSQL to the next phase of
world domination.  So I am joining Vadim, Jan, Thomas, and Marc in
clearing the way for others.

I'll still be around and still contributing to PostgreSQL in various
ways, mostly around running the database in container clouds.  It'll
take a while for me to hand off all of my PR responsibilities for the
project (assuming that I ever hand all of them off).

It's been a long, fun ride, and I'm proud of the PostgreSQL we have
today: both the database, and the community.  Thank you for sharing it
with me.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Josh,

* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

I'm sure you'll hear this a lot, but:

Thank you.

Your leadership as a member of core and your focus on advocacy has
definitely helped this community and project move forward and your
contributions will be sorely missed.

I don't believe we could ever replace you, to be clear, but hopefully we
will be able to find others to step up in those areas you were focused
on and continue to grow as a community and a project.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 04:29:19PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers:
>
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past
> year.  My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even
> more absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of
> time for PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thanks for all your hard work.  It's not easy stepping into the (to
hackers) un-sexiest role in the project, namely PR.  I think I speak
for all of us when I express our appreciation for your stepping up to
this and staying at it, year after year.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Paul Ramsey

For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
Core Team.

Massive thanks Josh, you've been a great advocate and a wonderful bridge into the PgSQL community for those of us finding our way towards the warm centre of PgSQL.
ATB,

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 01/11/2017 04:29 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

<snip>

> It's been a long, fun ride, and I'm proud of the PostgreSQL we have
> today: both the database, and the community.  Thank you for sharing it
> with me.

End of an era! Thank you for your many efforts for the community, past,
present, and future. Hope we'll still see you at various events during
the year.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
>  My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
> absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
> PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thank you Josh!

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2017-01-11 at 16:29 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
>  My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
> absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
> PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

This is sad news. Thank you for your great contributions to PostgreSQL, and I
with success in the future!

Devrim Gündüz

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Hackers:
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thank you for all your efforts!

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 01/11/2017 07:29 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hackers:
>
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
>   My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
> absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
> PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Josh,

I have valued you as a community member, as a work colleague, and not
least as a friend. Your absence will be sad, you presence still very
welcome.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Jesper Pedersen
Дата:
On 01/11/2017 07:29 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
>  My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
> absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
> PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thanks for all your work over the years !

Best regards, Jesper

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Dave Cramer

You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
 My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
PostgreSQL work.

For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
Core Team.
I joined the PostgreSQL Core Team in 2003.  I decided to take on project
advocacy, with the goal of making PostgreSQL one of the top three
databases in the world.  Thanks to the many contributions by both
advocacy volunteers and developers -- as well as the efforts by
companies like EnterpriseDB and Heroku -- we've achieved that goal.
Along the way, we proved that community ownership of an OSS project can
compete with, and ultimately outlast, venture-funded startups.

Thanks for your hard work. PostgreSQL has come a long way since then!

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Jonathan Katz
Дата:
> On Jan 11, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> It's been a long, fun ride, and I'm proud of the PostgreSQL we have
> today: both the database, and the community.  Thank you for sharing it
> with me.

Thank you for all of your contributions to the PostgreSQL community and paving the way for many of the advocacy efforts
thatwe can do today through your leadership.  I wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors!

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/12/2017 07:48 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:

>> On Jan 11, 2017, at 7:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's been a long, fun ride, and I'm proud of the PostgreSQL we have
>> today: both the database, and the community.  Thank you for sharing it
>> with me.
>
> Thank you for all of your contributions to the PostgreSQL community and paving the way for many of the advocacy
effortsthat we can do today through your leadership.  I wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors!

Josh,

Thank you for all your service. May your new adventures be as fulfilling!

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
On 11-01-2017 21:29, Josh Berkus wrote:
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thanks for your hard work! Your contributions were very important and
valuable for community growth. I'm sure you will continue to advocate
PostgreSQL.

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Roberto Mello
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
Core Team.

Thank you for all your hard work and contributions to the project over the years Josh. Sometimes the work of PR and documentation (among others) gets sidelined and not given the appropriate importance.

I wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors, and hope our paths will cross again sometime.

Roberto

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Hackers:
>
> You will have noticed that I haven't been very active for the past year.
>  My new work on Linux containers and Kubernetes has been even more
> absorbing than I anticipated, and I just haven't had a lot of time for
> PostgreSQL work.
>
> For that reason, as of today, I am stepping down from the PostgreSQL
> Core Team.

Thanks for all your hard work.  FWIW, your blog posts, 'Primary
Keyvil' are some of my favorite of all time!

merlin

Re: [HACKERS] Retiring from the Core Team

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Thanks, Josh, for everything. I especially enjoyed your monthly updates at SFPUG.

Cheers,
Steve