Обсуждение: Postgresql apt repository naming scheme question

Postgresql apt repository naming scheme question

От
Jacob Scott
Дата:
Hi,

Many packages in the Postgres apt repository (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt) are named with a PG major version postfix such as postgresql-client-9.5. Is there a reason why libpq-dev is not?

Specifically, I'm interested installing Postgres 9.5 on Ubuntu 14.04, which is made very easy thanks to the apt repo. But I don't see an easy way to specify that I want libpq-dev (e.g, for rebuilding psycopg2) 9.5.something instead of 9.6.something.

Is it safe/recommended to use the latest released libpq-dev package rather than one which matches the major version of the serrver/client packages being installed? Or should I be manually using the morgue as described in https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160731194944.amiwidhsoqh4osac%40msg.df7cb.de ? I feel like I may be missing some key difference between -dev and non -dev packages.

Thanks,

Jacob

Re: Postgresql apt repository naming scheme question

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/18/2016 11:12 AM, Jacob Scott wrote:
> Is it safe/recommended to use the latest released libpq-dev package
> rather than one which matches the major version of the serrver/client
> packages being installed? Or should I be manually using the morgue as
> described in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160731194944.amiwidhsoqh4osac%40msg.df7cb.de
> ? I feel like I may be missing some key difference between -dev and
> non -dev packages.

the latest libpq library should function with any postgres server going
pretty far back, like 7.x