Обсуждение: attempted repost: discussion around a change from 9.4.1-1 ?

attempted repost: discussion around a change from 9.4.1-1 ?

От
"..: Mark Sloan :.."
Дата:
i'm trying to understand more about this change since it, seems to have unpleasant results during a yum update when there are multiple server versions installed on a machine at the same time.

* Tue Feb 03 2015 Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> - 9.4.1-1PGDG
- Update to 9.4.1, per changes described at:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/release-9-4-1.html
- Improve .bash_profile, and let users specify their own
  environmental settings by sourcing an external file, called
  ~/.pgsql_profile. Per request from various users, and final
  suggestion from Martin Gudmundsson.

that it wiped out the ~postgres/.bash_profile that existed too, which caught some of my peers by surprise.

I realize this was 'a long time ago' and they should have raised the concern sooner but I'm just trying to educate myself on the discussion around this first.

basically, i'm trying to understand what people should be doing differently, and what the perceived upside to the community is.

-Mark

Re: attempted repost: discussion around a change from 9.4.1-1 ?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Mark,

This change actually tried to help users who have multiple versions installed.
Instead of using .bash_profile and wiping it everytime, we asked users to have
.pgsql_profile (something we invented) and push all customization there.

However, there is a packaging bug in 9.5 that used to overwrite .bash_profile:

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1215

We fixed it in 9.6, and 9.5.4-2. This bug does not exist in latest 9.4, too. So
after you upgrade to latest minor versions, and put all your customization into
.pgsql_profile, you should be good to go.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have questions/comments.

Regards, Devrim

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ