Обсуждение: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
WWW,

I would like a project mailing list for the team which will be working
on the "official" Postgresql images for Docker on DockerHub. This team,
which currently includes me, MW Campbell and Eric Onigarth, but will
later include other people.

The purpose of the list is to allow contributors to the official docker
image to discuss build issues, schedules and strategy, as it is for the
pgsql-pkg-debian mailing list.  While the Dockerhub is owned by Docker,
Inc., they have requested that our community take over maintenance of
the PostgreSQL packages, which are free and open source (as is Docker
itself).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Magnus Hagander
Дата:
wouldlike a project mailing list for the team which will be working<br /> > on the "official" Postgresql images for
Dockeron DockerHub. This team,<br /> > which currently includes me, MW Campbell and Eric Onigarth, but will<br />
>later include other people.<br /> ><br /> > The purpose of the list is to allow contributors to the official
docker<br/> > image to discuss build issues, schedules and strategy, as it is for the<br /> > pgsql-pkg-debian
mailinglist.  While the Dockerhub is owned by Docker,<br /> > Inc., they have requested that our community take over
maintenanceof<br /> > the PostgreSQL packages, which are free and open source (as is Docker<br /> > itself).<br
/>><p dir="ltr">Just to be clear, this is a project that intends to offer fully supported postgresql distribution,
asin publishing timely security fixes and not depreciating old versions after 5 minutes? If so, I definitely +1 this,
asyou say like the Debian and yum lists. And once it's properly reached "production quality", it should probably be on
ourdownload page too (the instructions that is, not the list). <p dir="ltr">/Magnus <br />

Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 11:46 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Just to be clear, this is a project that intends to offer fully
> supported postgresql distribution, as in publishing timely security
> fixes and not depreciating old versions after 5 minutes? If so, I
> definitely +1 this, as you say like the Debian and yum lists. And once
> it's properly reached "production quality", it should probably be on
> our download page too (the instructions that is, not the list).

+1.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 06/25/2014 02:46 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Just to be clear, this is a project that intends to offer fully
> supported postgresql distribution, as in publishing timely security
> fixes and not depreciating old versions after 5 minutes? If so, I
> definitely +1 this, as you say like the Debian and yum lists. And once
> it's properly reached "production quality", it should probably be on our
> download page too (the instructions that is, not the list).

Yes, that's exactly the plan.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 06/25/2014 10:05 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 02:46 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Just to be clear, this is a project that intends to offer fully
>> supported postgresql distribution, as in publishing timely security
>> fixes and not depreciating old versions after 5 minutes? If so, I
>> definitely +1 this, as you say like the Debian and yum lists. And once
>> it's properly reached "production quality", it should probably be on our
>> download page too (the instructions that is, not the list).
>
> Yes, that's exactly the plan.

So ... ?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 10:05 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 06/25/2014 02:46 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Just to be clear, this is a project that intends to offer fully
>>> supported postgresql distribution, as in publishing timely security
>>> fixes and not depreciating old versions after 5 minutes? If so, I
>>> definitely +1 this, as you say like the Debian and yum lists. And once
>>> it's properly reached "production quality", it should probably be on our
>>> download page too (the instructions that is, not the list).
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly the plan.
>
> So ... ?

I was talking to Alvaro a few days ago and he said he's working on it.
I guess he got sidetracked, but will hopefully get back to it soon :)

Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, that's exactly the plan.
> >
> > So ... ?
>
> I was talking to Alvaro a few days ago and he said he's working on it.
> I guess he got sidetracked, but will hopefully get back to it soon :)

Eh?  I created the list that very day.  mj2 shows the owner as
josh@agliodbs.com -- didn't you get an email with instructions and the
list password to that address?

Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Forgive my naive question. How is Docker PostgeSQL useful for real
world use case? I thought Docker's storage is weak for heavy data
traffic from my experience.  Maybe running docker image with mounting
external storage?

Next question is, who is using Docker PostgreSQL for production use?
I personally never heard about it. If Docker PostgreSQL is still just
for evaluation or toy, I feel like there's no strong demand to create
new mailing list.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> WWW,

> on the "official" Postgresql images for Docker on DockerHub. This team,
> which currently includes me, MW Campbell and Eric Onigarth, but will
> later include other people.
>
> The purpose of the list is to allow contributors to the official docker
> image to discuss build issues, schedules and strategy, as it is for the
> pgsql-pkg-debian mailing list.  While the Dockerhub is owned by Docker,
> Inc., they have requested that our community take over maintenance of
> the PostgreSQL packages, which are free and open source (as is Docker
> itself).
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/09/2014 04:39 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Forgive my naive question. How is Docker PostgeSQL useful for real
> world use case? I thought Docker's storage is weak for heavy data
> traffic from my experience.  Maybe running docker image with mounting
> external storage?

The idea is to help support an external community who would otherwise
not participate in our community.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 07/09/2014 06:38 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Eh?  I created the list that very day.  mj2 shows the owner as
> josh@agliodbs.com -- didn't you get an email with instructions and the
> list password to that address?

Sadly, no.  I looked for it before sending that email.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Next question is, who is using Docker PostgreSQL for production use?
> I personally never heard about it. If Docker PostgreSQL is still just
> for evaluation or toy, I feel like there's no strong demand to create
> new mailing list.

I'm using it, or I wouldn't have requested the list.

Really, the above is an example of exactly the kind of discussion which
should never happen when someone requests a list.  We're not here to
pass judgement on other people's OSS projects.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Really, the above is an example of exactly the kind of discussion which
> should never happen when someone requests a list.  We're not here to
> pass judgement on other people's OSS projects.

I didn't know that the list is for some other OSS project, not ours.

JD wrote:
> The idea is to help support an external community who would otherwise
> not participate in our community.

This gave me clear answer to my question. Thanks.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Next question is, who is using Docker PostgreSQL for production use?
>> I personally never heard about it. If Docker PostgreSQL is still just
>> for evaluation or toy, I feel like there's no strong demand to create
>> new mailing list.
>
> I'm using it, or I wouldn't have requested the list.
>
> Really, the above is an example of exactly the kind of discussion which
> should never happen when someone requests a list.  We're not here to
> pass judgement on other people's OSS projects.

It's exactly the kind of discussion that does need to happen, unless
we're just going to say yes or no to everyone. We're not a general
hosting provider for anyone who wants it, nor do we have the resources
to become one.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> It's exactly the kind of discussion that does need to happen, unless
> we're just going to say yes or no to everyone. We're not a general
> hosting provider for anyone who wants it, nor do we have the resources
> to become one.

"Is there demand" is a useful question when creating a list.

"Is project X worthwhile or not" isn't.  Namely, my comment was in
response to this:

"Forgive my naive question. How is Docker PostgeSQL useful for real
world use case?"

Such questions, while they would be appropriate for another list
(pgsql-general maybe?  The new docker list, if I get access to it?), are
NOT appropriate when discussing whether or not to grant a new list.  It
forces requestors to run a gauntlet of different list commentors finding
fault with their project.

Maybe it's past time for us to have a formal set of criteria and process
for requesting new lists, just like we do for other kinds of web stuff
like events?  A lot of the arguments here might be avoidable with one.

P.S. Alvaro, if you didn't see my other email, I did not get the
majordomo notification of the new list.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> It's exactly the kind of discussion that does need to happen, unless
>> we're just going to say yes or no to everyone. We're not a general
>> hosting provider for anyone who wants it, nor do we have the resources
>> to become one.
>
> "Is there demand" is a useful question when creating a list.
>
> "Is project X worthwhile or not" isn't.  Namely, my comment was in
> response to this:
>
> "Forgive my naive question. How is Docker PostgeSQL useful for real
> world use case?"

Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.

> Maybe it's past time for us to have a formal set of criteria and process
> for requesting new lists, just like we do for other kinds of web stuff
> like events?  A lot of the arguments here might be avoidable with one.

Yes, that seems perfectly reasonable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 07/10/2014 11:42 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
> project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
> worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
> individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
> thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.

Right, but it's not relevant whether or not people **on pgsql-www**
think it's worthwhile.  It's only relevant how popular it is in the world.

For example, I think that Windows is a worthless OS which has outlived
its usefulness.  That doesn't mean I'm going to champion discontinuing
the Windows installation packages or their related mailing list; Windows
is way too popular for that.

Docker is pretty clear-cut:
- Over 1 million downloads in the last year
- over 2000 downloads of the existing canonical Postgres image since
June 1, even though it's not really in a usable state

Other projects will be less clear-cut, simply because popularity data
isn't available.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/10/2014 12:03 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 07/10/2014 11:42 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
>> project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
>> worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
>> individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
>> thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.
>
> Right, but it's not relevant whether or not people **on pgsql-www**
> think it's worthwhile.  It's only relevant how popular it is in the world.

Trying telling -www that ;).