Обсуждение: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

I can't see pg_comparator 2.2.2 in our FTP site. Tarball is here:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz

However, I can't see 2.2.2 directory in our FTP site:

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/pg_comparator/

Probably a cron job is not running, or such.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
I can't see pg_comparator 2.2.2 in our FTP site. Tarball is here:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz

However, I can't see 2.2.2 directory in our FTP site:

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/pg_comparator/

Probably a cron job is not running, or such.

Sync from pgfoundry to the ftp site was disabled sometime back in December becaues of the constant troubles it caused because upstream was so slow and unreliable. I know Dave was working with some of the bigger projects (like postgis) publishing from there to get their files hosted more reliably. I'm not entirely sure where that ended, I think there was supposed to be an announcement once done :) Dave, got a status on this?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't see pg_comparator 2.2.2 in our FTP site. Tarball is here:
>>
>> http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz
>>
>> However, I can't see 2.2.2 directory in our FTP site:
>>

>> http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/pg_comparator/
>>
>> Probably a cron job is not running, or such.
>

> Sync from pgfoundry to the ftp site was disabled sometime back in December
> becaues of the constant troubles it caused because upstream was so slow and
> unreliable. I know Dave was working with some of the bigger projects (like
> postgis) publishing from there to get their files hosted more reliably. I'm
> not entirely sure where that ended, I think there was supposed to be an
> announcement once done :) Dave, got a status on this?

I was *only* working with PostGIS. I don't know any other projects on
there that seriously use that system, and even if I did, I don't have
any way to contact the owners (I refuse to start poking around in the
database - assuming I can still get to it).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't see pg_comparator 2.2.2 in our FTP site. Tarball is here:
>>
>> http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz
>>
>> However, I can't see 2.2.2 directory in our FTP site:
>>

>> http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/pg_comparator/
>>
>> Probably a cron job is not running, or such.
>

> Sync from pgfoundry to the ftp site was disabled sometime back in December
> becaues of the constant troubles it caused because upstream was so slow and
> unreliable. I know Dave was working with some of the bigger projects (like
> postgis) publishing from there to get their files hosted more reliably. I'm
> not entirely sure where that ended, I think there was supposed to be an
> announcement once done :) Dave, got a status on this?

I was *only* working with PostGIS. I don't know any other projects on
there that seriously use that system, and even if I did, I don't have
any way to contact the owners (I refuse to start poking around in the
database - assuming I can still get to it).

Ah, gotcha. And the PostGIS stuff is done and verified?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:

>> > Sync from pgfoundry to the ftp site was disabled sometime back in
>> > December
>> > becaues of the constant troubles it caused because upstream was so slow
>> > and
>> > unreliable. I know Dave was working with some of the bigger projects
>> > (like
>> > postgis) publishing from there to get their files hosted more reliably.
>> > I'm
>> > not entirely sure where that ended, I think there was supposed to be an
>> > announcement once done :) Dave, got a status on this?
>>
>> I was *only* working with PostGIS. I don't know any other projects on
>> there that seriously use that system, and even if I did, I don't have
>> any way to contact the owners (I refuse to start poking around in the
>> database - assuming I can still get to it).
>

> Ah, gotcha. And the PostGIS stuff is done and verified?

Yes.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:

>> > Sync from pgfoundry to the ftp site was disabled sometime back in
>> > December
>> > becaues of the constant troubles it caused because upstream was so slow
>> > and
>> > unreliable. I know Dave was working with some of the bigger projects
>> > (like
>> > postgis) publishing from there to get their files hosted more reliably.
>> > I'm
>> > not entirely sure where that ended, I think there was supposed to be an
>> > announcement once done :) Dave, got a status on this?
>>
>> I was *only* working with PostGIS. I don't know any other projects on
>> there that seriously use that system, and even if I did, I don't have
>> any way to contact the owners (I refuse to start poking around in the
>> database - assuming I can still get to it).
>

> Ah, gotcha. And the PostGIS stuff is done and verified?

Yes.

Ok, good!

Should we perhaps stick a note on ftp.postgresql.org saying it's no longer synchronized?  (and the same for gborg, really, even though that one is more obvious). Something like a simple README file in the /projects/ directory?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:31 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Should we perhaps stick a note on ftp.postgresql.org saying it's no
> longer synchronized?  (and the same for gborg, really, even though
> that one is more obvious).

Thanks for breaking some of the RPM package builds. Now I have to edit
the download URL every time I push an update of a package that comes
from pgfoundry.

Cheers,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Marc Fournier

we don’t push to the ftp server, it pulls from us … via rsync, from what I can tell … rsync process is running … did we miss an IP change at some point?

[pgfoundry]
        comment =  Mirror: ftp.postresql.org
        path =  /var/lib/gforge/uploads
        uid = root
        read only = true
        transfer logging = true
        hosts allow = 200.46.204.71, 204.145.124.244, 213.189.17.228, 2a00:f10:111:50::228

I can't see pg_comparator 2.2.2 in our FTP site. Tarball is here:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz

However, I can't see 2.2.2 directory in our FTP site:

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/pg_comparator/

Probably a cron job is not running, or such.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:31 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Should we perhaps stick a note on ftp.postgresql.org saying it's no
> longer synchronized?  (and the same for gborg, really, even though
> that one is more obvious).

Thanks for breaking some of the RPM package builds. Now I have to edit
the download URL every time I push an update of a package that comes
from pgfoundry.

We do no URL translations, so presumably the same URL is used on both ends (with different hostname, of course)?

In general, if you relied on data being synced from there you were already in trouble. Most of the attempts to sync just randomly failed or hung anyway, so it didn't really work before it was disabled either.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Devrim GÜNDÜZ (devrim@gunduz.org) wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:31 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Should we perhaps stick a note on ftp.postgresql.org saying it's no
> > longer synchronized?  (and the same for gborg, really, even though
> > that one is more obvious).
>
> Thanks for breaking some of the RPM package builds. Now I have to edit
> the download URL every time I push an update of a package that comes
> from pgfoundry.

If you have contact information for those updates, perhaps you could
contact them regarding finding another solution, ala what Dave did for
PostGIS?
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 12:36 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> If you have contact information for those updates, perhaps you could
> contact them regarding finding another solution, ala what Dave did for
> PostGIS?

Well, that means shutting down the site. I am not in a position to
shutdown gborg...sorry, pgfoundry. :)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 16:43 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We do no URL translations, so presumably the same URL is used on both
> ends (with different hostname, of course)?

Well, the existing (now previous) URL was:

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/%{sname}/%{version}/%{sname}-%{version}.tgz

so that I did not need to edit this during an update. Now, it is back to
the:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz

stuff, which means I will need to track 3597 or whatever on each update.

> In general, if you relied on data being synced from there you were
> already in trouble. Most of the attempts to sync just randomly failed
> or hung anyway, so it didn't really work before it was disabled
> either.

Depends. I had no problems with it over the last year or so. RPM build
machines relied on ftp.pg.org already.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: sync issue with pgFoundry to ftp.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 16:43 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We do no URL translations, so presumably the same URL is used on both
> ends (with different hostname, of course)?

Well, the existing (now previous) URL was:

http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry/pg-comparator/%{sname}/%{version}/%{sname}-%{version}.tgz

so that I did not need to edit this during an update. Now, it is back to
the:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/3597/pg_comparator-2.2.2.tgz

stuff, which means I will need to track 3597 or whatever on each update.

ISTM that the proper fix is that pgfoundry actually exposes the underlying location of the files. Clearly something is strange there, since the "easy" layout appears to be exported through rsync but not http?

I have no idea what that 3597 number comes from, but it seems it could just be removed somehow?

> In general, if you relied on data being synced from there you were
> already in trouble. Most of the attempts to sync just randomly failed
> or hung anyway, so it didn't really work before it was disabled
> either.

Depends. I had no problems with it over the last year or so. RPM build
machines relied on ftp.pg.org already.

Yeah, that's because we had to deal with all the sync issues before it got to you ;)