Обсуждение: Event Submission

Event Submission

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
I'm trying to submit a new event but am getting an error saying that the "Org" field is required.  Unfortunately, there
areno organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated to my
communityaccount?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Event Submission

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to submit a new event but am getting an error saying that the "Org" field is required.  Unfortunately,
thereare no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated
tomy community account?

Umm, did you see the line of text below the org field? We added that
last week, so I'm wondering if you missed it, or if it's in need of
rephrasing (Magnus and I weren't entirely happy with the wording).

In any case, you need to be added to one or more organisations. You
can check who the managers are at
https://www.postgresql.org/account/orglist/, or if it says "Migrated
Connection", one of us can make you the manager if you tell us the org
name and your user ID.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Event Submission

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to submit a new event but am getting an error saying that the "Org" field is required.  Unfortunately,
thereare no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated
tomy community account?

> Umm, did you see the line of text below the org field? We added that
> last week, so I'm wondering if you missed it, or if it's in need of
> rephrasing (Magnus and I weren't entirely happy with the wording).

Yes I did.  It is a bit confusing - I would probably just say "To be added to an organization, contact the organization
manageror webmaster@postgresql.org"

But additionally, I would recommend having a default organization, such as "Other" or "Community" so that if someone
whois not affiliated with an organization has a PG Event they can at least submit it, and we could work out the data
associationafter.

That being said, I will send my add requests to webmaster@ :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Event Submission

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jonathan S. Katz
>> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to submit a new event but am getting an error saying that the "Org" field is required.  Unfortunately,
thereare no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated
tomy community account?

>> Umm, did you see the line of text below the org field? We added that
>> last week, so I'm wondering if you missed it, or if it's in need of
>> rephrasing (Magnus and I weren't entirely happy with the wording).
>
> Yes I did.  It is a bit confusing - I would probably just say "To be added to an organization, contact the
organizationmanager or webmaster@postgresql.org"

We didn't say that because we don't want to add people to orgs that
already have a "real" manager. That should be up to them to decide who
represents them.

> But additionally, I would recommend having a default organization, such as "Other" or "Community" so that if someone
whois not affiliated with an organization has a PG Event they can at least submit it, and we could work out the data
associationafter.

If we do that, I'll bet a pint that the majority of people just start
picking that org instead of an appropriate one :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Event Submission

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

thereare no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated
tomy community account?

>>> Umm, did you see the line of text below the org field? We added that
>>> last week, so I'm wondering if you missed it, or if it's in need of
>>> rephrasing (Magnus and I weren't entirely happy with the wording).
>>
>> Yes I did.  It is a bit confusing - I would probably just say "To be added to an organization, contact the
organizationmanager or webmaster@postgresql.org"

> We didn't say that because we don't want to add people to orgs that
> already have a "real" manager. That should be up to them to decide who
> represents them.

You can always relay the message to the real manager, or ( feature request) list the real managers on the org page ;-)

>> But additionally, I would recommend having a default organization, such as "Other" or "Community" so that if someone
whois not affiliated with an organization has a PG Event they can at least submit it, and we could work out the data
associationafter.

> If we do that, I'll bet a pint that the majority of people just start
> picking that org instead of an appropriate one :-)

Touché - will not take that bet

Jonathan

Re: Event Submission

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:40, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

thereare no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or is it isolated
tomy community account?

>>> Yes I did.  It is a bit confusing - I would probably just say "To be added to an organization, contact the
organizationmanager or webmaster@postgresql.org"

>> We didn't say that because we don't want to add people to orgs that
>> already have a "real" manager. That should be up to them to decide who
>> represents them.
>
> You can always relay the message to the real manager, or ( feature request) list the real managers on the org page
;-)

If you think that's a good idea, how about we have them email *you*,
and you do the redirection? ;)

oh, and we *do* list the real manager on the list of organizations...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Event Submission

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:40, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

Unfortunately,there are no organizations appearing in the dropdown list so I cannot submit.  Is this a global issue or
isit isolated to my community account?

organizationmanager or webmaster@postgresql.org"

>>> We didn't say that because we don't want to add people to orgs that
>>> already have a "real" manager. That should be up to them to decide who
>>> represents them.
>>
>> You can always relay the message to the real manager, or ( feature request) list the real managers on the org page
;-)

> If you think that's a good idea, how about we have them email *you*,
> and you do the redirection? ;)

Sure, would be glad to help.

> oh, and we *do* list the real manager on the list of organizations...

Tried the organizations page and did not see it - but I'm also mobile right now and can't do a thorough inspection.