Обсуждение: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Angela Roberson <angela@commandprompt.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Subject: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.
To: announce@commandprompt.com

Hello,

Today marks the release of the second beta of PostgreSQL 9.1. PostgreSQL
9.1 is yet another strong release from our community that has seen the
continued maturity of Hot Standby as well as added features such as
Foreign Data Wrappers. In short, Foreign Data Wrappers allow you to
access data from others sources (Oracle, MySQL, CSV etc..). You can read
about the full release here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2011-06/msg00009.php

The PostgreSQL Conference is being held at the San Jose Convention
Center from 09/27-09/30. The call for papers is open and we are actively
seeking content. Please help us to continue to support the PostgreSQL
Community through this long standing PostgreSQL Community event. This
year the conference will be announcing a series of community initiatives
in an effort to continually provide the premeire support the conference
as always provided to the project.

https://www.postgresqlconference.org/

Database Health Check: Audit and Tune

Did you know that Command Prompt offers a simple and cost effective way
to spot issues with your PostgreSQL server? We call it the Audit & Tune.
Simply put, we verify that your hardware, operating system and
PostgreSQL configurations are following best practices found through
years of production experience.

At 1295.00 per server, the Audit and Tune is a great way to spot check
and document your systems to gain peace of mind that your database is
operating at an efficient level.

For more information on the Audit & Tune, or to purchase please visit:

http://www.commandprompt.com/portal/content/audit-and-tune

Best Regards,

Angela Roberson

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
That wasn't pgsql-announce, that was a commandprompt internal announce list.

//Magnus

 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 06/13/2011 10:53 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.

We did not send this to pgsql-announce.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 06/13/2011 10:53 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.

Good lord Robert,

You gave me a heart attack :P. I almost spit my coffee all over the
screen when I thought the email somehow made it to -announce. I felt
like I might need to get some of those robots we sent to Japan to work
on the reactors.

JD

/me goes off to take some valerian

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 10:53 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.
>
> Good lord Robert,
>
> You gave me a heart attack :P. I almost spit my coffee all over the screen
> when I thought the email somehow made it to -announce. I felt like I might
> need to get some of those robots we sent to Japan to work on the reactors.

Sorry, my bad.  I saw [Announce] in the subject line and didn't look
further.  If i hadn't been asleep at the switch, I would have realized
that [Announce] != [ANNOUNCE].

The mental image of you spitting coffee on your screen is pretty
amusing, though.  I don't suppose you got a recording of that????

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 06/13/2011 11:26 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake<jd@commandprompt.com>  wrote:
>> On 06/13/2011 10:53 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> Sorry, my bad.  I saw [Announce] in the subject line and didn't look
> further.  If i hadn't been asleep at the switch, I would have realized
> that [Announce] != [ANNOUNCE].
>
> The mental image of you spitting coffee on your screen is pretty
> amusing, though.  I don't suppose you got a recording of that????

Hah! No. I did however change the subject for any further mailings to
[cmd-announce] to help alleviate further issues.

JD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On 06/13/2011 01:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> /me goes off to take some valerian

Maybe we need a new list disclaimer:

"Warning:  side-effects of e-mail from Robert Haas may require sedation
to resolve"

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.

Looks like a product announcement to me. Lots of companies advertise
to PostgreSQL users. Why not CP?

My understanding is that it is limited to 4 per year.

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.
>
> Looks like a product announcement to me. Lots of companies advertise
> to PostgreSQL users. Why not CP?
>
> My understanding is that it is limited to 4 per year.

Hmm, the policy is actually unclear on that point. It's 2 per year for
"commercial entities who are not financial, in-kind or code
contributors to the PostgreSQL project". It doesn't quote a number for
sponsors that I can see (though, if we start getting a lot of
announcements there, I can imagine it getting capped pretty quickly)!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 6/13/11 12:18 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> Hmm, the policy is actually unclear on that point. It's 2 per year for
> "commercial entities who are not financial, in-kind or code
> contributors to the PostgreSQL project". It doesn't quote a number for
> sponsors that I can see (though, if we start getting a lot of
> announcements there, I can imagine it getting capped pretty quickly)!

Also, the announcement would still need to pass an appropriateness test.

Anyway, the  point is moot; that email was not from pgsql-announce.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Fwd: [Announce] PostgreSQL Update from Command Prompt, Inc.

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 06/13/2011 12:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Uh, is this sort of thing allowed on pgsql-announce? I rather thought not.
>
> Looks like a product announcement to me. Lots of companies advertise
> to PostgreSQL users. Why not CP?
>
> My understanding is that it is limited to 4 per year.

Well, this particular email would not have (IMO) been o.k. to send to
announce as it discussed three separate things:

1. The fact that Beta2 just came out
2. The CFP for #PgWest
3. A produce advertisement about our Audit and Tune

Basically, it was just a generalized, "Hey guys, guess what is going on
and OH! You might want to consider this service" vs "CMD Announces new
High Availability service" or some such thing.

CMD has sent -announce emails about specific services in the past (as
have others) and I believe that is perfectly reasonable but this email
doesn't seem to fit the bill.