Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

От
Chander Ganesan
Дата:
I noticed today that although the PGDG repository indicates that Fedora
11 is supported (http://yum.pgrpms.org/), it seems to only have
PostgreSQL 9.0 Alpha4 RPM's are available in it.

Was this intentional?  If FC11 and earlier aren't supported not having
the "latest" stuff might make sense..but to say that they are supported
but have an Alpha version of the software might lead people to
(erroneously) installing an unstable version of PostgreSQL on their systems.

Can someone please update the repository or maybe clarify things on the
RPM site?

thanks

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 08:02 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> I noticed today that although the PGDG repository indicates that
> Fedora  11 is supported (http://yum.pgrpms.org/), it seems to only
> have  PostgreSQL 9.0 Alpha4 RPM's are available in it.
>
> Was this intentional?

Well, yes. The master RPM buildfarm served us for about 3 years, and it
died. Then, I switched to a new server, and I had to drop Fedora < 10.
The downside was that the machine belonged to my previous employer, and
now we don't have an active RPM buildfarm...

Actually I have all virtual machines, and it is connected to a new
really powerful machine at home. I just don't have time nowadays to
update some packages. Probably in next minor release round. That day is
also the day that we will start using new URL

>  If FC11 and earlier aren't supported not having
> the "latest" stuff might make sense..but to say that they are
> supported  but have an Alpha version of the software might lead people
> to  (erroneously) installing an unstable version of PostgreSQL on
> their systems.

OTOH, Fedora 7+ is still supported in SVN. You can build your own
RPMs...
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

От
Chander Ganesan
Дата:
On 3/15/11 8:35 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>>   If FC11 and earlier aren't supported not having
>> the "latest" stuff might make sense..but to say that they are
>> supported  but have an Alpha version of the software might lead people
>> to  (erroneously) installing an unstable version of PostgreSQL on
>> their systems.
> OTOH, Fedora 7+ is still supported in SVN. You can build your own
> RPMs...
Understood, but I think many users that use the RPM installers don't
know how to do that - or might not realize they are getting an old
version of PostgreSQL.  If they follow the Yum HOWTO they end up with
something that's likely to break at some point (Alpha4)

Seems like it makes the most sense to just say those versions are
unsupported via the RPM install...currently what's out there is, IMHO,
misleading.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.