Обсуждение: [EDB] windows binaries 9.0

[EDB] windows binaries 9.0

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Hello,

I realized today that the edb download page is not clear enough for
all our windows users:
I was asking why the 9.0 was not installed in perconnal cumputer of a
customer and he told me that he didn't found it.

Explanations:

he was browsing the ftp directory ....so I show him the window link,
he clicked, and...told me that he didn't have an account and can not
download.. The point is that  the download didn't start automatically
and all he saw was the big form to create an account, not the line
with the direct download link. He though he had to register and such
to be able to download postgresql 9.0: he did't trust this external
website and fall back to the community one (and the ftp directory)

Dear EDB team, do you have an idea on how to improve the download
section of your website ? Perhaps make the direct link more proeminent
?
I don't know if such thing is frequent or not, I admit it looks
obvious to just read the text to understand, but, still, it happens :/

Re: [EDB] windows binaries 9.0

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 00:03 +0200, Cédric Villemain wrote:

> Dear EDB team, do you have an idea on how to improve the download
> section of your website ? Perhaps make the direct link more proeminent
> ?
> I don't know if such thing is frequent or not, I admit it looks
> obvious to just read the text to understand, but, still, it happens :/

Yeah I can confirm this. The page certainly makes it seem you must
create an account and the text to download if the download doesn't start
is small in comparison to the:

PLEASE GOD WERE DESPERATE PLEASE SIGN UP SO WE CAN SEND YOU STUFF :P

Web form.

I think and increase and centering of the text and link would be enough.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: [EDB] windows binaries 9.0

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 00:03 +0200, C?dric Villemain wrote:
>
> > Dear EDB team, do you have an idea on how to improve the download
> > section of your website ? Perhaps make the direct link more proeminent
> > ?
> > I don't know if such thing is frequent or not, I admit it looks
> > obvious to just read the text to understand, but, still, it happens :/
> >

> Yeah I can confirm this. The page certainly makes it seem you must
> create an account and the text to download if the download doesn't start
> is small in comparison to the:
>
> PLEASE GOD WERE DESPERATE PLEASE SIGN UP SO WE CAN SEND YOU STUFF :P

I am going to LOL with no comment on this posting!

I do agree it is confusing.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [EDB] windows binaries 9.0

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Yeah I can confirm this. The page certainly makes it seem you must
> create an account and the text to download if the download doesn't start
> is small in comparison to the:

I'll ask the web team to make it clearer.

> PLEASE GOD WERE DESPERATE PLEASE SIGN UP SO WE CAN SEND YOU STUFF :P

LOL. That's really not what we want. It's a waste of our time to have
people sign up that don't want to.

> I think and increase and centering of the text and link would be enough.

Ack.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com