Обсуждение: FAQs

FAQs

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Bruce just pointed out to me that the list at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/ is hopelessly out of date.

The FAQs are generated off whatever was in CVS before it was removed.
Some of those were migrated to the wiki, some weren't. Those that
weren't, we're serving whatever we used to have for.

How about we replace the whole list (minus the main faq and developer
faq that can still be there) with a link to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:FAQ?

Other ideas?

Re: FAQs

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Bruce just pointed out to me that the list at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/ is hopelessly out of date.
>
> The FAQs are generated off whatever was in CVS before it was removed.
> Some of those were migrated to the wiki, some weren't. Those that
> weren't, we're serving whatever we used to have for.
>
> How about we replace the whole list (minus the main faq and developer
> faq that can still be there) with a link to
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:FAQ?
>
> Other ideas?

I like linking to the wiki. But I'd say at least link to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ, as that's a bit friendlier and
more what someone would expect.

Perhaps we can put a link in the FAQ to Category:FAQ for those who are
not familiar with mediawiki categories.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: FAQs

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Selena Deckelmann
<selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Bruce just pointed out to me that the list at
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/ is hopelessly out of date.
>>
>> The FAQs are generated off whatever was in CVS before it was removed.
>> Some of those were migrated to the wiki, some weren't. Those that
>> weren't, we're serving whatever we used to have for.
>>
>> How about we replace the whole list (minus the main faq and developer
>> faq that can still be there) with a link to
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:FAQ?
>>
>> Other ideas?
>
> I like linking to the wiki. But I'd say at least link to
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ, as that's a bit friendlier and
> more what someone would expect.

That's what I meant by leaving the link to the main FAQ and developer
FAQs on there. We'd have those, and then "for a list of other FAQs,
click <here>".

Re: FAQs

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Selena Deckelmann
> <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> Bruce just pointed out to me that the list at
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/ is hopelessly out of date.
>>>
>>> The FAQs are generated off whatever was in CVS before it was removed.
>>> Some of those were migrated to the wiki, some weren't. Those that
>>> weren't, we're serving whatever we used to have for.
>>>
>>> How about we replace the whole list (minus the main faq and developer
>>> faq that can still be there) with a link to
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:FAQ?
>>>
>>> Other ideas?
>>
>> I like linking to the wiki. But I'd say at least link to
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ, as that's a bit friendlier and
>> more what someone would expect.
>
> That's what I meant by leaving the link to the main FAQ and developer
> FAQs on there. We'd have those, and then "for a list of other FAQs,
> click <here>".

Ah, sorry. :)  I should fully read.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: FAQs

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Perhaps we can put a link in the FAQ to Category:FAQ for those who are
> not familiar with mediawiki categories.

There already was one at the bottom of the page.  But this page is such
a monster that's easy to miss.  I just slipped a link to there into the
top of the page as well:  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ , between
the languages and the TOC.  I think that looks OK there.  If there's
anywhere we should tolerate some redundancy at for the sake of making it
more likely people will stumble on the info they need, I'd think the FAQ
would qualify.

Re: FAQs

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Selena Deckelmann
<selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Selena Deckelmann
>> <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I like linking to the wiki. But I'd say at least link to
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ, as that's a bit friendlier and
>>> more what someone would expect.
>>
>> That's what I meant by leaving the link to the main FAQ and developer
>> FAQs on there. We'd have those, and then "for a list of other FAQs,
>> click <here>".
>
> Ah, sorry. :)  I should fully read.

I've applied this change.