Обсуждение: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

*.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Hi!

Could we get a DNS wildcard set up for *.pugs.postgresql.org so that
we can do things like:

staging.pugs.postgresql.org
dev.pugs.postgresql.org

This is to further the work of making pugs not suck, and thus
supportable by our sysadmin team.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Could we get a DNS wildcard set up for *.pugs.postgresql.org so that
> we can do things like:
>
> staging.pugs.postgresql.org
> dev.pugs.postgresql.org

if we are only talking those 2 records I would prefer using explicit A
records.
The problems (from a sysadmin perspective) with wildcard records are
that we have rather limited control on what is actually getting created
under a postgresql.org subdomain and just in case we will have to
cleanup in a few years from now we will not have any idea on what
hostnames were actually in use.

> This is to further the work of making pugs not suck, and thus
> supportable by our sysadmin team.

we also need to make our DNS not suck :)

Stefan

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

>> This is to further the work of making pugs not suck, and thus
>> supportable by our sysadmin team.
>
> we also need to make our DNS not suck :)

Absolutely. Wildcard DNS entries are a known evil after all...

--
Dave Page

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Could we get a DNS wildcard set up for *.pugs.postgresql.org so that
>> we can do things like:
>>
>> staging.pugs.postgresql.org
>> dev.pugs.postgresql.org
>
> if we are only talking those 2 records I would prefer using explicit A
> records.
> The problems (from a sysadmin perspective) with wildcard records are that we
> have rather limited control on what is actually getting created under a
> postgresql.org subdomain and just in case we will have to cleanup in a few
> years from now we will not have any idea on what hostnames were actually in
> use.

Gotcha.  Sounds reasonable :)

Joshua, are dev & staging enough?

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Josh Waihi <josh@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> >> staging.pugs.postgresql.org
> >> dev.pugs.postgresql.org

> Yeah, that should be fine

 Great!

DNS admins? Can we get CNAMEs for staging and dev pointed at
pugs.postgresql.org please?

thanks!
-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, that should be fine
>
>  Great!
>
> DNS admins? Can we get CNAMEs for staging and dev pointed at
> pugs.postgresql.org please?

Just pinging again about this, and sorry for the bother, folks - I'm
trying to keep up with Josh Waihi's good work on PUGS.

Is -www the right place to ping people about DNS requests?

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann wrote:

>>> Yeah, that should be fine
>>  Great!
>>
>> DNS admins? Can we get CNAMEs for staging and dev pointed at
>> pugs.postgresql.org please?
>
> Just pinging again about this, and sorry for the bother, folks - I'm
> trying to keep up with Josh Waihi's good work on PUGS.
>
> Is -www the right place to ping people about DNS requests?

yeah yeah - there is no 24x7 2h guaranteed response contract on DNS
requests :)

Anyway - the two new records should now be in DNS...

Stefan

Re: *.pugs.postgresql.org - staging, dev

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>  Great!
>>>
>>> DNS admins? Can we get CNAMEs for staging and dev pointed at
>>> pugs.postgresql.org please?
>>
>> Just pinging again about this, and sorry for the bother, folks - I'm
>> trying to keep up with Josh Waihi's good work on PUGS.
>>
>> Is -www the right place to ping people about DNS requests?
>
> yeah yeah - there is no 24x7 2h guaranteed response contract on DNS requests
> :)
>
> Anyway - the two new records should now be in DNS...

Stefan, you are the best.  Thanks! :)

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me