Обсуждение: -bugs moderators

-bugs moderators

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
the only person there.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: -bugs moderators

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
> the only person there.

I am. I've gotten the impression that there aren't many of us on that list,
though whether that's true or not, and whether that's a bad thing or not, I
can't really say.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Re: -bugs moderators

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: -bugs moderators

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
> the only person there.

what does it take to be a moderator?

Best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz  /  blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz@depesz.com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007

Re: -bugs moderators

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:30:53PM +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> >
> > Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
> > the only person there.
>
> what does it take to be a moderator?

Emails requiring moderation get sent to you first (this includes, AIUI, emails
sent from addresses that aren't subscribed to the list). If the email should
be forwarded to the list, you respond to that email with the "accept" command.
I was taught that other emails are generally ignored, rather than explicitly
rejected, though explicit rejections are also possible.

I remember reading a thread somewhere that said not all messages on a list are
sent to all moderators; I don't know what particular magic the moderation
software uses exactly.

I'm not moderating other lists, but the spam load on -bugs, as Greg pointed
out, is pretty high.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Re: -bugs moderators

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua Tolley escribió:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:30:53PM +0100, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> > >
> > > Who else is moderating -bugs except me? I want to make sure that I'm not
> > > the only person there.
> >
> > what does it take to be a moderator?
>
> Emails requiring moderation get sent to you first (this includes, AIUI, emails
> sent from addresses that aren't subscribed to the list). If the email should
> be forwarded to the list, you respond to that email with the "accept" command.
> I was taught that other emails are generally ignored, rather than explicitly
> rejected, though explicit rejections are also possible.

I don't see the point in ignoring spam and letting it linger.  It makes
the task so much harder if you ever go to the web form to check whatever
is there.  I find it easier to deal with those by just rejecting them on
sight.  There are some Mutt macros that I posted some time ago, and were
refined by David Fetter, that help with this.  Even if you don't use
Mutt, you can probably use the idea.

> I remember reading a thread somewhere that said not all messages on a
> list are sent to all moderators; I don't know what particular magic
> the moderation software uses exactly.

It was probably me that you remember saying it.  It's configurable, and
I don't know if our Majordomo installation uses it.

Re: -bugs moderators

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:37:34AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I don't see the point in ignoring spam and letting it linger.  It makes
> the task so much harder if you ever go to the web form to check whatever
> is there.  I find it easier to deal with those by just rejecting them on
> sight.  There are some Mutt macros that I posted some time ago, and were
> refined by David Fetter, that help with this.  Even if you don't use
> Mutt, you can probably use the idea.

See, had I ever bothered to set up mutt macros, it would be easier for me to
reject :) In case anyone else doesn't feel like looking up the posts in
question, I found these that look like good candidates. I'll be trying 'em
out.

http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre/diary/15.html
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/17-Moderating-Majordomo-Lists-with-Vim-and-Mutt.html
(short version of #2: http://is.gd/aVvXj)