Обсуждение: Correct place for merchandising issues

Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
Hello,

i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):

- requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
- order merchandising from different suppliers
- discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
- discussions about online shop(s)
- ...

I don't think, -www is the right place for this kind of emails.
The eu-general list has an ongoing discussion¹ about merchandising, but
that's not the right place, because this list is only for EU related
discussions.

Personally i would like a new mailinglist for this, but i'm open for
other ideas.

Kind regards

1: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgeu-general/2009-11/msg00000.php

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:56 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
> merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):
>
> - requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
> - order merchandising from different suppliers
> - discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
> - discussions about online shop(s)
> - ...
>
> I don't think, -www is the right place for this kind of emails.
> The eu-general list has an ongoing discussion¹ about merchandising, but
> that's not the right place, because this list is only for EU related
> discussions.
>
> Personally i would like a new mailinglist for this, but i'm open for
> other ideas.

Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
for flyers).

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:05:32 -0800 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:56 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >
> > i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
> > merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):
> >
> > - requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
> > - order merchandising from different suppliers
> > - discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
> > - discussions about online shop(s)
> > - ...
> >
> > I don't think, -www is the right place for this kind of emails.
> > The eu-general list has an ongoing discussion¹ about merchandising, but
> > that's not the right place, because this list is only for EU related
> > discussions.
> >
> > Personally i would like a new mailinglist for this, but i'm open for
> > other ideas.
>
> Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
> absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
> relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
> for flyers).

Even if EU and US are autonomous (which isn't absolutely true) - what
about other countries and continents? Do we want to establish separate
processes in each and every country, for each conference as example? Or
wouldn't it better to have a contact where one can ask for promotion and
merchandising material?

If i pick up your autonomy idea: the eu-general list isn't the right
place for this discussion because this will flood the inbox of every
subscriber with a lot of eu-unrelated talk.

So my question about the right place is still open.

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 00:29 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:05:32 -0800 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
> > absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
> > relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
> > for flyers).
>
> Even if EU and US are autonomous (which isn't absolutely true)

Not absolutely, no. I was referring to things like the Elephants. The US
would never sanely purchase the Elephants from EU. They are too
expensive.

We would of course share flyer, brochure sources or even possibly shirt
designs etc...

>  - what
> about other countries and continents? Do we want to establish separate
> processes in each and every country, for each conference as example? Or
> wouldn't it better to have a contact where one can ask for promotion and
> merchandising material?

Well for entities that are not yet established I think it would make
sense to ask on the -advocacy list. But for someone like EU/US/BR/JP it
seems odd.

> If i pick up your autonomy idea: the eu-general list isn't the right
> place for this discussion because this will flood the inbox of every
> subscriber with a lot of eu-unrelated talk.

hmmm maybe.

> So my question about the right place is still open.

perhaps a separate list for the region?

Joshua D. Drake

> Kind regards
>
> --
>                 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> German PostgreSQL User Group
> European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors
> Volunteer Regional Contact, Germany - PostgreSQL Project

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:05:32 -0800 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
> > absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
> > relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
> > for flyers).
>
> Even if EU and US are autonomous (which isn't absolutely true) - what
> about other countries and continents? Do we want to establish separate
> processes in each and every country, for each conference as example? Or
> wouldn't it better to have a contact where one can ask for promotion and
> merchandising material?

I agree that having one list for merchandising seems the right way to go
about it.  If a certain portion of the traffic is not applicable to you,
just don't read it.  That's how all mailing lists work.

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

Дата:
"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> writes:
>>> i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
>>> merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):

I thought -advocacy was the place for that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 23:56 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
> merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):
>
> - requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
> - order merchandising from different suppliers
> - discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
> - discussions about online shop(s)
> - ...
>
> I don't think, -www is the right place for this kind of emails.
> The eu-general list has an ongoing discussion¹ about merchandising, but
> that's not the right place, because this list is only for EU related
> discussions.
>
> Personally i would like a new mailinglist for this, but i'm open for
> other ideas.

Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
for flyers).

Joshua D. Drake

> Kind regards
>

> 1: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgeu-general/2009-11/msg00000.php
>
> --
>                 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> German PostgreSQL User Group
> European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors
> Volunteer Regional Contact, Germany - PostgreSQL Project

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 00:29 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:05:32 -0800 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Actually I would argue that for eu related merchandising it is
> > absolutely appropriate. EU/US (and other regions) are going to be
> > relatively autonomous in their needs outside of content (such as source
> > for flyers).
>
> Even if EU and US are autonomous (which isn't absolutely true)

Not absolutely, no. I was referring to things like the Elephants. The US
would never sanely purchase the Elephants from EU. They are too
expensive.

We would of course share flyer, brochure sources or even possibly shirt
designs etc...

>  - what
> about other countries and continents? Do we want to establish separate
> processes in each and every country, for each conference as example? Or
> wouldn't it better to have a contact where one can ask for promotion and
> merchandising material?

Well for entities that are not yet established I think it would make
sense to ask on the -advocacy list. But for someone like EU/US/BR/JP it
seems odd.

> If i pick up your autonomy idea: the eu-general list isn't the right
> place for this discussion because this will flood the inbox of every
> subscriber with a lot of eu-unrelated talk.

hmmm maybe.

> So my question about the right place is still open.

perhaps a separate list for the region?

Joshua D. Drake

> Kind regards
>
> --
>                 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> German PostgreSQL User Group
> European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors
> Volunteer Regional Contact, Germany - PostgreSQL Project

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 12 November 2009 18:58:24 Tom Lane wrote:

> I thought -advocacy was the place for that.

+1, these request should start on -advocacy, and we can redirect them to more
regional lists if appropriate.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:39:50 -0500 Robert Treat wrote:

> > I thought -advocacy was the place for that.
> >

> +1, these request should start on -advocacy, and we can redirect them to more
> regional lists if appropriate.

The requests from user groups are just one part:

- requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
- order merchandising from different suppliers
- discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
- discussions about online shop(s)
- ...

But ok, i will start a thread or two on -advocacy, let's see ...

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Correct place for merchandising issues

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/11/12 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de>:

> Hello,
>
> i would like to discuss the right place for handling all the
> merchandising related topics. This includes (among others):
>
> - requests and sending material to user groups and conferences
> - order merchandising from different suppliers
> - discuss new merchandising material and/or new designs
> - discussions about online shop(s)
> - ...
>
> I don't think, -www is the right place for this kind of emails.
> The eu-general list has an ongoing discussion¹ about merchandising, but
> that's not the right place, because this list is only for EU related
> discussions.
>
> Personally i would like a new mailinglist for this, but i'm open for
> other ideas.

My bad.  I started the discussion there because I thought putting it
under advocacy would result in cross-talk from other regions which
would just confuse and potentially compromise discussions of setting
up a European-specific online store.  This worry is probably
unfounded, but it was only intended for, and only applied to Europe.

Since the question related to the European website and advocacy, it
could in theory have seemed appropriate to www as it was
website-related, advocacy because it was about PostgreSQL promotion
and eu-general as it was a European matter.

Thom