Обсуждение: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
webmaster@postgresql.org
Дата:
PostgreSQL.org moderation report - 2009-6-16 13:57:0.

There are 40 documentation comment(s) requiring moderation.
There are 7 event(s) requiring moderation.
There are 2 news item(s) requiring moderation.
There are 1 organisation(s) requiring moderation.
There are 2 professional service(s) requiring moderation.

Moderators; please check and moderate these items as soon as possible!

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

Дата:
webmaster@postgresql.org writes:
> PostgreSQL.org moderation report - 2009-6-16 13:57:0.
> There are 40 documentation comment(s) requiring moderation.
> There are 7 event(s) requiring moderation.
> There are 2 news item(s) requiring moderation.
> There are 1 organisation(s) requiring moderation.
> There are 2 professional service(s) requiring moderation.

> Moderators; please check and moderate these items as soon as possible!

Why is this being sent to the -www list?
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> webmaster@postgresql.org writes:
>> PostgreSQL.org moderation report - 2009-6-16 13:57:0.
>> There are 40 documentation comment(s) requiring moderation.
>> There are 7 event(s) requiring moderation.
>> There are 2 news item(s) requiring moderation.
>> There are 1 organisation(s) requiring moderation.
>> There are 2 professional service(s) requiring moderation.
>
>> Moderators; please check and moderate these items as soon as possible!
>
> Why is this being sent to the -www list?

To coax/shame the moderators that obviously aren't listening on the
moderation list into clearing the queue. It runs twice a week, and
will only send an email if there is anything outstanding. Which
hopefully, will rarely be the case.

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

Дата:
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Why is this being sent to the -www list?

> To coax/shame the moderators that obviously aren't listening on the
> moderation list into clearing the queue.

So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
subscription?  Please undo this.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Why is this being sent to the -www list?
>
>> To coax/shame the moderators that obviously aren't listening on the
>> moderation list into clearing the queue.
>
> So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
> subscription?  Please undo this.

Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
This was discussed last week, where the idea of having a message to
this list was one of the only new and possibly useful ideas floated.

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> webmaster@postgresql.org writes:
>>> PostgreSQL.org moderation report - 2009-6-16 13:57:0.
>>> There are 40 documentation comment(s) requiring moderation.
>>> There are 7 event(s) requiring moderation.
>>> There are 2 news item(s) requiring moderation.
>>> There are 1 organisation(s) requiring moderation.
>>> There are 2 professional service(s) requiring moderation.
>>> Moderators; please check and moderate these items as soon as possible!
>> Why is this being sent to the -www list?
>
> To coax/shame the moderators that obviously aren't listening on the
> moderation list into clearing the queue. It runs twice a week, and
> will only send an email if there is anything outstanding. Which
> hopefully, will rarely be the case.

Not having looked at the script (though I expect it's in svn, even
though the activity mail has been broken for a long time there *cough*),
would it be possible to have it only send it if there are things
overdue? I realize there's a bunch of things overdue now, but in theory
it could be a comment added 5 minutes before the script ran - with
nobody having a chance to send it.

Or perhaps it already does this, and this just shows I was too lazy to
check?

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Not having looked at the script (though I expect it's in svn, even
> though the activity mail has been broken for a long time there *cough*),
> would it be possible to have it only send it if there are things
> overdue? I realize there's a bunch of things overdue now, but in theory
> it could be a comment added 5 minutes before the script ran - with
> nobody having a chance to send it.

That should be easy to check for news, comments and events. What do
you define as 'overdue'? 2 days? 3?

Other record types don't have submission timestamps at the moment.

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

Дата:
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
>> subscription? �Please undo this.

> Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
> This was discussed last week,

Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.

Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
to permanently clutter the list archives.

(If you wanted actual shame, how about a report saying "so-and-so
hasn't done any moderation work in X weeks"?)
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
>>> subscription?  Please undo this.
>
>> Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
>> This was discussed last week,
>
> Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.

Thread starts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2009-06/msg00058.php

> Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
> oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
> So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
> to permanently clutter the list archives.

Well frankly this is exactly the sort of thing this list was
originally setup for, alongside discussion and other admin issues. I
was quite happy to leave it as a closed list, but others wanted it
opened up so they could see what went on.

> (If you wanted actual shame, how about a report saying "so-and-so
> hasn't done any moderation work in X weeks"?)

Not very practical, as the system doesn't know anything about the
moderators, and some only cover areas that rarely need any work, or
vacations etc.

--
Dave Page

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> So the rest of us have to start filtering junk from our -www
> >> subscription? �Please undo this.
>
> > Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
> > This was discussed last week,
>
> Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.
>
> Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
> oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
> So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
> to permanently clutter the list archives.

Agreed.  The core problem is that moderators have to dig through tons of
spam/duplicates/cross-posting to do anything meaningful, and they are
resigning under that load.  Address that core issue;  shaming is not
going to help anyone.

Case in point --- I resubscribed to the press@postgresql.org mailing
list to help assist people, but there is so much spam that my
spamasassin baynes filter now considers all press@ email to be spam so I
don't see it anymore.  Hopefully if a legitimate press email arrives,
spamasassin will let it through, but I doubt it.  So I tried to help,
but will not actually help much.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thursday, June 18, 2009, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>
>> > Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
>> > This was discussed last week,
>>
>> Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.
>>
>> Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
>> oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
>> So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
>> to permanently clutter the list archives.
>
> Agreed.  The core problem is that moderators have to dig through tons of
> spam/duplicates/cross-posting to do anything meaningful, and they are
> resigning under that load.  Address that core issue;  shaming is not
> going to help anyone.

There is zero spam - we're not talking about list moderation.

/D

--
Dave Page

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
Guido Barosio
Дата:
Honestly, as a moderator, none of these discussions are motivating.

IMHO the report helps. And I don't care if it comes via -slaves or -www.

gb.-

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>
>> > Unless you have a better way of ensuring everything gets moderated.
>> > This was discussed last week,
>>
>> Discussed where?  Not here, that I saw.
>>
>> Personally, I'm perfectly capable of procmail'ing these things into
>> oblivion, and I'm sure most of the other subscribers to -www are too.
>> So in a week or so the only effect that these missives will have is
>> to permanently clutter the list archives.
>
> Agreed.  The core problem is that moderators have to dig through tons of
> spam/duplicates/cross-posting to do anything meaningful, and they are
> resigning under that load.  Address that core issue;  shaming is not
> going to help anyone.
>
> Case in point --- I resubscribed to the press@postgresql.org mailing
> list to help assist people, but there is so much spam that my
> spamasassin baynes filter now considers all press@ email to be spam so I
> don't see it anymore.  Hopefully if a legitimate press email arrives,
> spamasassin will let it through, but I doubt it.  So I tried to help,
> but will not actually help much.
>
> --
>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com
>
>  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Re: PostgreSQL moderation report: 2009-6-16

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> > Agreed.  The core problem is that moderators have to dig through tons of
> > spam/duplicates/cross-posting to do anything meaningful, and they are
> > resigning under that load.  Address that core issue;  shaming is not
> > going to help anyone.
>
> There is zero spam - we're not talking about list moderation.

I think a decision like this should be left to the moderators. I don't
mind the report.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> Not having looked at the script (though I expect it's in svn, even
>> though the activity mail has been broken for a long time there *cough*),
>> would it be possible to have it only send it if there are things
>> overdue? I realize there's a bunch of things overdue now, but in theory
>> it could be a comment added 5 minutes before the script ran - with
>> nobody having a chance to send it.
>
> That should be easy to check for news, comments and events. What do
> you define as 'overdue'? 2 days? 3?

3 I think is pretty reasonable, if someone is away over a weekend or
something like that.

> Other record types don't have submission timestamps at the moment.

Something to add in the future, but one thing at a time :-)

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/