Обсуждение: Who is moderating the news?

Who is moderating the news?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Can whoever is supposed to be moderating the news please do so?
apparently there is at least one item stuck in the queue again.

Also, what do we need to do to prevent the moderation emails being lost/ignored?

Thanks.

--
Dave Page

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 18:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Can whoever is supposed to be moderating the news please do so?
> apparently there is at least one item stuck in the queue again.
>
> Also, what do we need to do to prevent the moderation emails being lost/ignored?

Don't send them to the slaves list. That list gets hammered with so much
noise it is easy to mentally turn it off. I know that sometimes I forget
to check events because I open the folder and I have hundreds of
automirror reports, mirror test reports, autobackup reports etc...

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 18:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> Can whoever is supposed to be moderating the news please do so?
>> apparently there is at least one item stuck in the queue again.
>>
>> Also, what do we need to do to prevent the moderation emails being lost/ignored?
>>

> Don't send them to the slaves list. That list gets hammered with so much
> noise it is easy to mentally turn it off. I know that sometimes I forget
> to check events because I open the folder and I have hundreds of
> automirror reports, mirror test reports, autobackup reports etc...

Well that is what the slaves list is for. It's pretty easy for the
moderators to filter out the stuff from nagios etc - is it really
worth a separate list?

--
Dave Page

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 19:46 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 18:24 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> >> Can whoever is supposed to be moderating the news please do so?
> >> apparently there is at least one item stuck in the queue again.
> >>
> >> Also, what do we need to do to prevent the moderation emails being lost/ignored?
> >>

> > Don't send them to the slaves list. That list gets hammered with so much
> > noise it is easy to mentally turn it off. I know that sometimes I forget
> > to check events because I open the folder and I have hundreds of
> > automirror reports, mirror test reports, autobackup reports etc...
>
> Well that is what the slaves list is for. It's pretty easy for the
> moderators to filter out the stuff from nagios etc - is it really
> worth a separate list?

*shrug*. I am a big fan of contextual lists. If the list is for
reporting then it should be a reporting list. If it is for doing stuff
it should be for doing stuff. If you mix the two you get noise.

I guess I could hyper filter but generally I just filter based on
address not subject or content.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Who is moderating the news?

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Don't send them to the slaves list. That list gets hammered with so much
>> noise it is easy to mentally turn it off. I know that sometimes I forget
>> to check events because I open the folder and I have hundreds of
>> automirror reports, mirror test reports, autobackup reports etc...

> Well that is what the slaves list is for. It's pretty easy for the
> moderators to filter out the stuff from nagios etc - is it really
> worth a separate list?

Seems like the real problem here is that the slaves list is overloaded
to the point of uselessness.  Proper fix is probably to pay more
attention to not sending noise reports to it in the first place.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> Don't send them to the slaves list. That list gets hammered with so much
>>> noise it is easy to mentally turn it off. I know that sometimes I forget
>>> to check events because I open the folder and I have hundreds of
>>> automirror reports, mirror test reports, autobackup reports etc...
>
>> Well that is what the slaves list is for. It's pretty easy for the
>> moderators to filter out the stuff from nagios etc - is it really
>> worth a separate list?
>
> Seems like the real problem here is that the slaves list is overloaded
> to the point of uselessness.  Proper fix is probably to pay more
> attention to not sending noise reports to it in the first place.

90% of that noise will go away when JD fixes community1...

--
Dave Page

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 20:01 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:

> > Seems like the real problem here is that the slaves list is overloaded
> > to the point of uselessness.  Proper fix is probably to pay more
> > attention to not sending noise reports to it in the first place.
>
> 90% of that noise will go away when JD fixes community1...

Those reports don't go to slaves. They spam all of us who can't do
anything about the various problems on dozens of machines anyway :P

[pgsql-slavestothewww] PostgreSQL AutoMirror Report
[pgsql-slavestothewww] PostgreSQL mirror test report: 2008-11-24
[pgsql-slavestothewww] Comment 7356 added to page backup-file.html of
version 8.3

So I admit that today is a relatively light day but on Thursday I got
five automirror zone reports. Only one of which contained any actual
useful information:

Mirror 212.247.200.180 (Eastside) recovered, now enabled.
Mirror 212.247.200.180 (Eastside) is flapping, disabling.
Dumping new zonefile
Completed.

But not useful for me because there is *nothing* I can do about it.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 20:01 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> > "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>
>> > Seems like the real problem here is that the slaves list is overloaded
>> > to the point of uselessness.  Proper fix is probably to pay more
>> > attention to not sending noise reports to it in the first place.
>>
>> 90% of that noise will go away when JD fixes community1...
>
> Those reports don't go to slaves. They spam all of us who can't do
> anything about the various problems on dozens of machines anyway :P

Oh, OK. I thought we did still send those to slaves. Feel free to
improve the nagios config to make the alerts more targeted though.

> [pgsql-slavestothewww] PostgreSQL AutoMirror Report
> [pgsql-slavestothewww] PostgreSQL mirror test report: 2008-11-24
> [pgsql-slavestothewww] Comment 7356 added to page backup-file.html of
> version 8.3
>
> So I admit that today is a relatively light day but on Thursday I got
> five automirror zone reports. Only one of which contained any actual
> useful information:

Well that's pretty much all that goes to slaves then isn't it?
Normally we don't expect to see any auto mirror reports - and if we
do, it's normally only a handful. The mirror test report is a one a
day thing, and the comment added message is moderation.

That sounds like very little noise to me.

--
Dave Page

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

I agree with Josh here.  I've got moderating rights on news and events,
but I've unsubscribed from slaves due to the amount of nagios noise.

I'd strongly prefer a moderation-only list.  Particularly, I think we
should have 3 to 5 people (and the *same* people) with moderation rights
on news, events, -announce and related stuff (like services vendors) and
a list which takes *only* those moderation messages.

--Josh

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I agree with Josh here.  I've got moderating rights on news and events, but
> I've unsubscribed from slaves due to the amount of nagios noise.
>
> I'd strongly prefer a moderation-only list.  Particularly, I think we should
> have 3 to 5 people (and the *same* people) with moderation rights on news,
> events, -announce and related stuff (like services vendors) and a list which
> takes *only* those moderation messages.

Well the easy answer is to just move the remaining couple of sysadmin
messages to be delivered directly (or to another list). It's going to
make a really minimal difference though, as (contrary to my original
recollection) we already moved 99% of the alerts elsewhere.

You realise though, there will be *no* excuse for things not getting
moderated in a timely fashion once this happens?

<tappity-tap-tap>

Anyway, I've moved the auto mirror reports, and the mirrorbot reports
such that they go to myself, Magnus and Stefan for now. We'll also
need to move the SVN commit messages from pgweb (JD), and the archives
stuff (Alvaro).

Marc, can you create a new list for reports please - maybe
sysadmin-reports@, with me as the owner.

--
Dave Page

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Done, done ... and exclusion put in place so that it doesn't get to
archives ...

----

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Done, done ... and exclusion put in place so that it doesn't get to
> archives ...

Apparently the exclusion failed, because there is an empty
"sysadmin-reports" directory being copied.

Also, can I bug you to create the pgsql-es-fomento list that was
requested a couple of days ago?  And arpug?

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Also, can I bug you to create the pgsql-es-fomento list that was
> requested a couple of days ago?  And arpug?

Sure, who should I put as owners?

----

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Apparently the exclusion failed, because there is an empty
> "sysadmin-reports" directory being copied.

Fixed, typo ... I had excluded 'sysadmins-reports' ...

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Also, can I bug you to create the pgsql-es-fomento list that was
>> requested a couple of days ago?  And arpug?
>
> Sure, who should I put as owners?

Please see here for arpug (there's another request in there as well, for
am-central-pug):
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/2b5e566d0811250756x762b8489u36d8b7a31c77533b%40mail.gmail.com

And the owner of pgsql-es-fomento should also be
Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>

Thanks!

Re: Who is moderating the news?

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Yeap, I can take that one.

Thanks,
gb.-

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> Also, can I bug you to create the pgsql-es-fomento list that was
>>> requested a couple of days ago?  And arpug?
>>
>> Sure, who should I put as owners?
>
> Please see here for arpug (there's another request in there as well, for
> am-central-pug):
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/2b5e566d0811250756x762b8489u36d8b7a31c77533b%40mail.gmail.com
>
> And the owner of pgsql-es-fomento should also be
> Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/