Обсуждение: Argentina PUG

Argentina PUG

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Dear all,
  We are about to have the first PG Day @ Argentina, and I was after
the idea of creating a country group, chances to get this?

Thanks in advance,
gb.-

Re: Argentina PUG

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Guido Barosio escribió:
> Dear all,
>
>    We are about to have the first PG Day @ Argentina, and I was after
> the idea of creating a country group, chances to get this?

Huh, what's wrong with bapug?

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Emanuel CALVO FRANCO"
Дата:
There is nothing Wrong. :)
Is better, there are more people from another states and we don't
like to left them out!
It will be more representative for all.

2008/11/11 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Guido Barosio escribió:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>    We are about to have the first PG Day @ Argentina, and I was after
>> the idea of creating a country group, chances to get this?
>
> Huh, what's wrong with bapug?
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

--    Emanuel Calvo Franco  Syscope Postgresql DBA    BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
Let's create a mailing list, and make Guido the owner:

arpug - Argentina PostgreSQL Users Group
Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>

Who is the owner of bapug? I don't see any archives for that list. Has
there been any traffic on it?

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Emanuel CALVO FRANCO"
Дата:
Not yet Selena. We generally use pgsql-es-ayuda list...
but, after the PGday we think it will be more active.
In other hand, we create an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net for Arpug.

We need a time, but there's people who is interest on it.
In fact, there are mini-pugs that are growing in the other states
(cordoba, corrientes)
but they need gow up to converts in a really pugs, that's because we promote
the idea to create an Arpug.

2008/11/14 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
> Let's create a mailing list, and make Guido the owner:
>
> arpug - Argentina PostgreSQL Users Group
> Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>
>
> Who is the owner of bapug? I don't see any archives for that list. Has
> there been any traffic on it?
>

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>   We are about to have the first PG Day @ Argentina, and I was after
>> the idea of creating a country group, chances to get this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> gb.-
>>

> --
> Selena Deckelmann
> PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
> Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

--    Emanuel Calvo Franco  Syscope Postgresql DBA    BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Emanuel CALVO FRANCO
<postgres.arg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not yet Selena. We generally use pgsql-es-ayuda list...
> but, after the PGday we think it will be more active.
> In other hand, we create an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net for Arpug.
>
> We need a time, but there's people who is interest on it.
> In fact, there are mini-pugs that are growing in the other states
> (cordoba, corrientes)
> but they need gow up to converts in a really pugs, that's because we promote
> the idea to create an Arpug.

Ok, thanks for the update!  That's exciting that you're seeing
interest in other states.

Meantime, those watching -- please create the Argentina-wide mailing list :)

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: Argentina PUG

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Emanuel CALVO FRANCO escribió:
> Not yet Selena. We generally use pgsql-es-ayuda list...
> but, after the PGday we think it will be more active.
> In other hand, we create an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net for Arpug.
>
> We need a time, but there's people who is interest on it.
> In fact, there are mini-pugs that are growing in the other states
> (cordoba, corrientes)
> but they need gow up to converts in a really pugs, that's because we promote
> the idea to create an Arpug.

If it's going to start growing after PGDay, then maybe it makes sense to
way until after PGDay to create the list(s).

As a completely different topic, I told Selena some time ago that the
current naming scheme for PUGs does not scale.  If we get a Cordoba PUG,
will it be copug?  And if we get a Corrientes PUG, what will we name it?
corpug?  If we ever get a Colombia PUG, what will we use?

I suggest that maybe XXpug should be reserved for country codes (so
"bapug" and others are already misnomers; it's fortunate that the bapug
list has not had any traffic yet.  Can we rename bapug to arpug?)
*mumble* ISO 3166-2 *mumble*

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Emanuel CALVO FRANCO"
Дата:
2008/11/14 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Emanuel CALVO FRANCO escribió:
>> Not yet Selena. We generally use pgsql-es-ayuda list...
>> but, after the PGday we think it will be more active.
>> In other hand, we create an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net for Arpug.
>>
>> We need a time, but there's people who is interest on it.
>> In fact, there are mini-pugs that are growing in the other states
>> (cordoba, corrientes)
>> but they need gow up to converts in a really pugs, that's because we promote
>> the idea to create an Arpug.
>
> If it's going to start growing after PGDay, then maybe it makes sense to
> way until after PGDay to create the list(s).
>
> As a completely different topic, I told Selena some time ago that the
> current naming scheme for PUGs does not scale.  If we get a Cordoba PUG,
> will it be copug?  And if we get a Corrientes PUG, what will we name it?
> corpug?  If we ever get a Colombia PUG, what will we use?
>
> I suggest that maybe XXpug should be reserved for country codes (so
> "bapug" and others are already misnomers; it's fortunate that the bapug
> list has not had any traffic yet.  Can we rename bapug to arpug?)
> *mumble* ISO 3166-2 *mumble*

:D  The original idea was that, only rename bapug to arpug.
the same problem is taking place in central america, a problem with the name.
But exist a cuestion: the pugs are created to make an oganization in a
country or
are made for local people to participate with more meetings and contacts?

In the second way,that's becuase we think in 'internal' pugs just for
say 'cordoba's people'
, to encourage more local events and nearly contacts.

unfortunately all these years we were prey to a disruption of many
local issues.
Potentially there are many people interested and working with Postgresql,
and this is what we are trying to seize.

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

--    Emanuel Calvo Franco  Syscope Postgresql DBA    BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Emanuel CALVO FRANCO escribió:
>> Not yet Selena. We generally use pgsql-es-ayuda list...
>> but, after the PGday we think it will be more active.
>> In other hand, we create an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net for Arpug.
>>
>> We need a time, but there's people who is interest on it.
>> In fact, there are mini-pugs that are growing in the other states
>> (cordoba, corrientes)
>> but they need gow up to converts in a really pugs, that's because we promote
>> the idea to create an Arpug.
>
> If it's going to start growing after PGDay, then maybe it makes sense to
> way until after PGDay to create the list(s).
>
> As a completely different topic, I told Selena some time ago that the
> current naming scheme for PUGs does not scale.  If we get a Cordoba PUG,
> will it be copug?  And if we get a Corrientes PUG, what will we name it?
> corpug?  If we ever get a Colombia PUG, what will we use?

I considered that premature optimization. ;)

> I suggest that maybe XXpug should be reserved for country codes (so
> "bapug" and others are already misnomers; it's fortunate that the bapug
> list has not had any traffic yet.  Can we rename bapug to arpug?)
> *mumble* ISO 3166-2 *mumble*

That's fine with me. And easier.

From here on out, non-country pugs will have to have at least 3
characters in their abbreviation!

I'll handle the issue with BWPUG (ISO 3166-2 assigns BW to Botswana),
if/when it comes up.

I still like having the messy naming for the rest of the groups.
There's no one standard that's going to address regional, state,
province and municipality all at once.

I realize it makes it harder to find some of the specific groups, but
I think that issue be solved by some tagging and better organization
on the PUGs site.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: Argentina PUG

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Emanuel CALVO FRANCO
<postgres.arg@gmail.com> wrote:

> :D  The original idea was that, only rename bapug to arpug.
> the same problem is taking place in central america, a problem with the name.
> But exist a cuestion: the pugs are created to make an oganization in a
> country or
> are made for local people to participate with more meetings and contacts?

The primary definition of a PUG is that it is a group of people who
meet and talk about PostgreSQL.

I encourage PUGs to meet monthly, to drink beer (or something
non-alcoholic) and eat together, and to advertise themselves with a
mailing list and a website so when people are traveling through they
can be the PostgreSQL Welcome Wagon! :)

Each PUG, however, has it's own mission and goals.  And obviously, the
larger groups can't meet that often.  But I think it is legitimate to
create a PUG mailing list even if a group only meets once a year.  So,
a PgDay qualifies a group for a list.

> In the second way,that's becuase we think in 'internal' pugs just for
> say 'cordoba's people'
> , to encourage more local events and nearly contacts.

I think that if Cordoba would like a separate list, they are welcome
to it.  They just need get a few people together and have meetings.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Fwd: Argentina PUG

От
"Emanuel CALVO FRANCO"
Дата:
2008/11/14 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Emanuel CALVO FRANCO
> <postgres.arg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> :D  The original idea was that, only rename bapug to arpug.
>> the same problem is taking place in central america, a problem with the name.
>> But exist a cuestion: the pugs are created to make an oganization in a
>> country or
>> are made for local people to participate with more meetings and contacts?
>
> The primary definition of a PUG is that it is a group of people who
> meet and talk about PostgreSQL.
>
> I encourage PUGs to meet monthly, to drink beer (or something
> non-alcoholic) and eat together, and to advertise themselves with a
> mailing list and a website so when people are traveling through they
> can be the PostgreSQL Welcome Wagon! :)

This is in our plans (beer). :)

> Each PUG, however, has it's own mission and goals.  And obviously, the
> larger groups can't meet that often.  But I think it is legitimate to
> create a PUG mailing list even if a group only meets once a year.  So,
> a PgDay qualifies a group for a list.
>
>> In the second way,that's becuase we think in 'internal' pugs just for
>> say 'cordoba's people'
>> , to encourage more local events and nearly contacts.
>
> I think that if Cordoba would like a separate list, they are welcome
> to it.  They just need get a few people together and have meetings.

Let's see what happend after the pgday.
Is the test of fire :)

> -selena
>
> --
> Selena Deckelmann
> PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
> Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

--    Emanuel Calvo Franco  Syscope Postgresql DBA    BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
"Emanuel CALVO FRANCO"
Дата:
that's right ISO3166-2, +1

2008/11/16 Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>:
> +1 on ISO 3166-2
>
> gb.-
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Selena Deckelmann
> <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> so, will be rename ArgPug?
>>
>> If we follow ISO 3166-2, it would be 'arpug'.

>>> It's a hard work... i think every country must have a general pug,
>>> then each must allow local groups.
>>
>> It's not necessary to have a PUG for every country.
>>
>> We are just going to reserve the two-letter prefixes for country codes
>> from now on.
>>
>> We will continue to have language-specific lists, which are not
>> exclusive to a single country.
>>
>> -selena
>>
>> --
>> Selena Deckelmann
>> PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
>> Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily
>> --
>> TIP 10: no uses HTML en tu pregunta, seguro que quien responda no podrá leerlo

--    Emanuel Calvo Franco  Syscope Postgresql DBA    BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Any update on this? Are we going for the country-pug or locale-pug convention?

gb.-

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Emanuel CALVO FRANCO
<postgres.arg@gmail.com> wrote:
> that's right ISO3166-2, +1
>
> 2008/11/16 Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com>:
>> +1 on ISO 3166-2
>>
>> gb.-
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Selena Deckelmann
>> <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If we follow ISO 3166-2, it would be 'arpug'.

>>> It's not necessary to have a PUG for every country.
>>>
>>> We are just going to reserve the two-letter prefixes for country codes
>>> from now on.
>>>
>>> We will continue to have language-specific lists, which are not
>>> exclusive to a single country.
>>>
>>> -selena
>>>
>>> --
>>> Selena Deckelmann
>>> PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
>>> Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily
>>> --
>>> TIP 10: no uses HTML en tu pregunta, seguro que quien responda no podrá leerlo
>>>

> --
>    Emanuel Calvo Franco
>   Syscope Postgresql DBA
>     BaPUG / AOSUG Member

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Guido Barosio escribió:
> Any update on this? Are we going for the country-pug or locale-pug convention?

Did you guys decide whether you want to start PUGs in Mendoza or other
places?  The Argentina PUG should probably be named "arpug", but I wonder
if the question is what are you going to name provincial PUGs.

Note http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:AR  which says that the
code for Mendoza is AR-M.  IMHO "ar-m-pug" for Mendoza is a loser, as is
m-arpug.  How about mendoza-arpug instead?

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
We spoke about a regional (LATAM) organization, with country driven
organizations.

We pretend to attack universities and free software events, therefore
a country wide movement makes, IMHO, more sense.

gb.-

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Guido Barosio escribió:
>> Any update on this? Are we going for the country-pug or locale-pug convention?
>
> Did you guys decide whether you want to start PUGs in Mendoza or other
> places?  The Argentina PUG should probably be named "arpug", but I wonder
> if the question is what are you going to name provincial PUGs.
>
> Note http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:AR  which says that the
> code for Mendoza is AR-M.  IMHO "ar-m-pug" for Mendoza is a loser, as is
> m-arpug.  How about mendoza-arpug instead?
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Guido Barosio escribió:
>> Any update on this? Are we going for the country-pug or locale-pug convention?
>
> Did you guys decide whether you want to start PUGs in Mendoza or other
> places?  The Argentina PUG should probably be named "arpug", but I wonder
> if the question is what are you going to name provincial PUGs.
>
> Note http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:AR  which says that the
> code for Mendoza is AR-M.  IMHO "ar-m-pug" for Mendoza is a loser, as is
> m-arpug.  How about mendoza-arpug instead?

That makes sense to me.

arpug can still exist on it's own.

For now, I'm grandfathering in the old group names.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: [pgsql-es-ayuda] Argentina PUG

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Many thanks!

gb.-

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Selena Deckelmann